ermine genetics

May 12, 2023
So I’m hatching eggs out of ermine Ameraucana and was told that the chicks even if black or white will carry the gene and produce ermine chicks out of future hatches from these chicks. But if I breed black to black won’t all the chicks be black regardless of having ermine parents?

So I’m hatching eggs out of ermine Ameraucana and was told that the chicks even if black or white will carry the gene and produce ermine chicks out of future hatches from these chicks. But if I breed black to black won’t all the chicks be black regardless of having ermine parents?
I have search for reference pictures of Ermine Ameraucana, to me they do not look Like the Paint/Erminette pattern, they look like one of the many recessive mottling alleles.

1683907592396.png

If thats the case you can follow the recessive mottling breeding chart

Exchequer Leghorns are based on Recessive mottling

Leghorn_Exchequer_Haan.jpg

Now if they are based on Dominant white like Erminette then if you breed Black x Black you will get only Black

Last edited:
I have search for reference pictures of Ermine Ameraucana, to me they do not look Like the Paint/Erminette pattern, they look like one of the many recessive mottling alleles.

View attachment 3502629

If thats the case you can follow the recessive mottling breeding chart

Exchequer Leghorns are based on Recessive mottling

View attachment 3502642

Now if they are based on Dominant white like Erminette then if you breed Black x Black you will get only Black
According to any charts I’ve found on the gene you get them by crossing black to white. Black to black will be 100% black. But the lady I got these eggs from said that they will carry the gene and can have ermine chicks from them. But I do think she is mistaken

According to any charts I’ve found on the gene you get them by crossing black to white. Black to black will be 100% black. But the lady I got these eggs from said that they will carry the gene and can have ermine chicks from them. But I do think she is mistaken
That would be true if her line is based on recessive mottling

Mottled x mottled should not produce black chicks. So, if black chicks come from that cross, your ermines are paint, and will not produce more if two blacks are bred together.

Yeah, I'm wondering about that as well. The Ermine Ameraucanas that I've seen in show did not seem to have mottling, at least to my eye. 🤔
You've saw them at a show? How cool. Was it an APA show?
J just saw something recently about the lady that started them. It mentioned se now has a dedicated group of breeders working with them and many are showing them as they're working on getting the variety accepted by the APA in LF and Bantam.

Back
Top Bottom