Errors, typos, misinformation, etc. in/on websites, brochures, data sheets, books, etc.

casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Let me start by saying that I make my fair share of mistakes and typos, but when I do, I will try to correct them.

Lately I've seen some of these errors in places that people rely on. For example, if you go to the Jeffer's website or catalog, to purchase a medication, do you assume that the dosing info would is correct? Well don't be so sure. Most are probably okay, but I found one yesterday in their spring catalog.

In this thread I will post all that I have found. I will also try to explain how and why they are wrong.

-Kathy

Several mistakes here:
http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

• 1/2 tablespoon = 1 ounce?
  • 1 tablespoon = 2 ounces?

I think not!

And how did they come up with 1 tablespoon = 800 mg?
idunno.gif

Each package contains 10 grams oxytetracyline, which is 10,000 mg tetracycline.
10,000 mg per package / 800 mg per gallon = 12.5 gallons medicated at 800 mg.
Since one 6.4 ounce package will make 12.5 gallons at 800 mg, the math is 12.5 gallons / 6.4 ounces = 0.512 ounces per gallon, not 2 ounces per gallon.

So let me switch to metric, 'cause the math is easier for me.
  • Package weighs 181 grams and has 10 grams tetracycline.
  • 10 ÷ 181 = 0.055, which means it's 5.5% tetracycline, 94.5% filler
  • One gram = 55mg
  • One tablespoon weighs about 10 grams, so 55 mg x 10 = 550 mg per tablespoon
  • 800 ÷ 550 = 1.45 tablespoons
  • The 800 mg dose for one gallon = 1.5 tablespoons (825 mg is close enough)

So there you have it, the 800 mg dose is 1.5 tablespoons per gallon, *not* 1 tablespoon.
Sadly I used to think that their brochure was correct, so I inadvertently helped perpetuate this misinformation, and for that, I apologize.
hide.gif

-Kathy

As always, *please* check my math.

Last edited:
Can you all see how misinformation spreads? I'd like to think that a mfg like Durvet would triple check their data, but apparently they don't. Because of this error, most people have been under dosing their birds. So now that you have seen this, how much do you believe the other dosing info in their brochure?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom