Erythromycin Dosing For Coryza

paramedic07

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Bergman, AR
Since 5/14 I've lost 14 almost 2,5 month old chicks just "dropping dead". 5 silkies, a SLW, my 4 pure blood lavender ameraucana bantams, and 4 ameraucana/BR crosses. I think at least 3 more chicks are going to bite it too. No S&S were shown at all and are not at this time. My 1 year olds are fine and not showing symptoms. I think the remaining 2.5 month olds have bubbly eyes and nasal discharges.

I'm P.O. beyond belief and about to walk away from chciekns all together.

I'm treating the flock with duramycin, vitamin supps, and a womer thats starts with a "w".

HAD TO DO THE RUN AROUND THROUGH THE FEED STORES TO THE BOONE COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE. FINALLY GOT DIRECTED TO THE LONE VETERNARIAN THAT HAD ERYTHROMYCIN. I JUST NEGELCTED TO ASK THE DOSING AND HES OUT FOR THE DAY.

ANY IDEA ?

Last edited:
I'm dreading the future of my 14 ameraucana and EE/BR crosses I hatched out 2 days ago and the 5 jap chicks and 10 EE bantams I'm set to receive 5/25.

Sounds like coryza.
hmm.png

You need to get a diagnosis to treat/prevent it in your other birds. Most state labs will do autopsies for free or greatly reduced rates on chickens. Are you near a university or state lab? Call your state ag extention agent. Now. Young birds should NOT be dropping dead like this, and they should be able to help you. Good luck.

Sorry you're going through this. What did the vet say when he prescribed the Rx.? Did he have a thought what you were dealing with? BTW one teaspoon duramyicin and two teaspoons of erythromyicin per gallon of water. Keep the water out of the sun the tetracycline turns dark. I don't know if it impacts the potency of it but sure wouldn't want to risk it. Dr. Brown of First state Vet supply can help out alot too. Good luck! Hope they turn around soon.

Back
Top Bottom