Escaping their run

Goshenga

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2020
Okay, we reinforced the heightened the fence
Checked and rechecked 4 ft high some places higher and one keeps escaping . Can she crawl 2 ft under a 4inch opening at the corner of a shed that the run is attached to? I'm thinking yes, my husband says no. I will block the area tomorrow. As they are up for the night.

Okay, we reinforced the heightened the fence
Checked and rechecked 4 ft high some places higher and one keeps escaping . Can she crawl 2 ft under a 4inch opening at the corner of a shed that the run is attached to? I'm thinking yes, my husband says no. I will block the area tomorrow. As they are up for the night.
Do you have a picture? A 4” opening seems so small.

No pic and it is dark , now. I will block it regardless AND watch her tomorrow for her escape route. Her wings are clipped and I cant imagine her getting over a 4 ft fence.

How closely clipped are the wings? If you don't clip enough they can still get good lift.

I've seen someone post that they had chickens that learned to climb a fence and then jump off the top, so in extreme cases even a good clipping job might not be enough.

I put deer netting over my 6' high Barred Rock pen.
20190529_092900.jpg

Before that they would fly around the yard.
20190827_141412.jpg

Just kidding! I put up the net to keep out the hawks.

Some chickens can easily fly over a 4' fence, usually the lighter breeds like Leghorns. GC

Hello, I just went through this with my speckled sussex, fluffy(named by 5 y/o niece lol). I raised the fence up to 6 feet, but she kept Houdiniing. I ended up clipping her flight feathers...and she stll flew out! Learned you need to clip them pretty low for it to be effective. After her second "haircut", she has not escaped once. If blocking the hole doesn't work, I'd recommend clipping both wings. It's really easy, causes no pain, and keeps your chicken safer from predators inside their run. Here's a pic of the escape artist for fun :)
20200327_162920.jpg

Hello, I just went through this with my speckled sussex, fluffy(named by 5 y/o niece lol). I raised the fence up to 6 feet, but she kept Houdiniing. I ended up clipping her flight feathers...and she stll flew out! Learned you need to clip them pretty low for it to be effective. After her second "haircut", she has not escaped once. If blocking the hole doesn't work, I'd recommend clipping both wings. It's really easy, causes no pain, and keeps your chicken safer from predators inside their run. Here's a pic of the escape artist for fun :)
View attachment 2067766
Should you really clip both wings? I’ve only clipped one wing (per bird😊) cause I thought it was lack of balance that kept them earthbound. Did I get that wrong?

Back
Top Bottom