Esperanza what chu did to yo leg?

ChikinDaddy

Chirping
May 11, 2018
1) What type of bird: Bantam Polish Juvenile Hen
2) What is the behavior: favoring her right leg, won't walk, falls when she tries.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms: Just noticed today.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms: No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: Inability to balance or use right leg/foot
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: No idea
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all: high protein starter/boonworms/and probably the big girl pellets
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far: moved her from the flock to the transition pen inside, put some wet cat food and water in with her of which she has no interest, same with her normal food.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? If it's not something I can manage I will take her to the vet.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. N/A
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use her and the others she was raised with refuse to sleep in either coop and sleep in a giant dog house with straw flooring.

So I noticed my little Esperanza just sitting against the fence this morning when I went to throw treats, which as y'all know not one of them is gonna pass on. I went and picked her up and noticed she won't clutch with her Right Talon. Set her down and she took a few steps and fell with each one showing extreme favor to her Right leg. I assessed both legs, no noted fever/edema/obvious fracture/pain response to touch. All her joints move well, toes included but she will not use the leg. No bumble foot, or open areas. I put her in my Chick transition pen so she can rest with wet cat food and water which usually the girls tear up and she'll have nothing to do with it.

Como anos es Esperanza? Injury and sprains are always the first things to consider, but Mareks disease comes to mind with lameness in one leg with imbalance. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks? Have you added new birds recently? It is odd that she won’t eat treats. I would keep her in a dog crate of pen with food and water close to her within reach. Propping her on towels or using a chicken sling to get her upright for periods, then out of it to rest or sleep, can help.

In this thread you will find several ideas for chicken slings where you may place food and water containers in front:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Here is the basic design, and you can use a mesh laundry bag or even a TShirtor other materials for the sling:

upload_2018-9-12_11-41-20.jpeg

Como anos es Esperanza? Injury and sprains are always the first things to consider, but Mareks disease comes to mind with lameness in one leg with imbalance. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks? Have you added new birds recently? It is odd that she won’t eat treats. I would keep her in a dog crate of pen with food and water close to her within reach. Propping her on towels or using a chicken sling to get her upright for periods, then out of it to rest or sleep, can help.
Esperanza tiene 4 meses. ella no muestra otros síntomas de mareks. gracias por el consejo!

Sorry that was the extent of my Spanish, but did you just say that she is 4 months old and does not have any symptoms of Mareks? It might be a good idea to start some poultry vitamins in her water or by mouth, just in case of a dediciency. Are her toes curled under? Do you have a rooster around that may have hurt her by trying to mate? Here is a good article to read about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom