Essential Oils

dsc6

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
I am into aromatherapy and have read that there are some essential oils that help prevent insects, etc., on the chickens and in the henhouse/coop. Any one have any experience with this? I am already using ACV in their water, and food-grade DE in their food and bedding, dust bath, etc. I have a very large collection of EOs and hydrosols, and would love to share them with the chickens!

I grow lots of catnip it knocks down mosquitos so well ohio state is trying to patent it. I am also a trapper and bobcats seem to like it quiet a bit, when I go out into the yard I break off a stalk and wipe my arms and neck and legs with it it seems to work as well or better then off, deet etc

I've used citronella, lavender, and peppermint oils successfully by saturating cotton balls and enclosing them in netting bags, which I hang from the ceiling of the coop.

I say "successfully" because I've had no major outbreaks of mite infestations since I started using this approach, and the fly population seems to be less than in previous years.

Of course, one observation might have nothing to do with the other...
tongue.png

I had an infestation of red mites. I used the DE, but it didn't do a whole lot to help. Then I started spraying lavender essential oil (diluted) inside the coop, especially on the roosts and in the nests. I even sprayed the chickens with it - under their wings, back of neck, and around their vents. This seemed to take care of the pesky little things!

What a great idea! I wonder if scattering dried lavendar in the coop as a preventative treatment would deter them too. I am all about finding natural remedies.

Yes. Actually, I've heard of some "old-timers" who used to always have bunches of lavender hanging in their coops. It's the linalool from the lavender that is toxic to red mites. During the infestation, I would always spray my boots, my gloves, and the hood of my jacket before entering the coop. I just wanted to make sure I didn't bring them into the house. If you google it, you'll see that some people have had that happen, and not been able to get rid of them.

Also, whenever I clean the coop, I spray it - top to bottom - with "Thieves" from YL or "Four Robbers" (much cheaper and just as effective) from Birch Hill Happenings. Until the mite episode, in 7 years the only problem I have ever had was a banty with a cold. I attribute the health of my flock to the essential oils. I wouldn't be without them. They are my "medicine of choice" for my animals and my family! I have studied them extensively, actually used to private label my own until I discovered Birch Hill Happenings. You can go on-line for them.

Yep, Tea Tree Oil, which is as potent an acariside as eprinomectin (kills mites), if applied directly on chooks, could well do the chooks in.

Last edited:
Yep, Tea Tree Oil, which is as potent an acariside as eprinomectin (kills mites), if applied directly on chooks, could well do the chooks in.

My wife used some Tea Tree Oil in a flea bath for our Chihuahua. A few hours later, after napping under a blanket, the dog was completely disoriented and could not walk or even stand up. The Tea Tree odor on her was pungent. She did recover, but was out of it for a few days.

Yes that's right. You have to be very careful with essential oils, especially the "heavy hitters", around animals. Cats are especially sensitive. Never use an oil on a cat without researching it first.

Back
Top Bottom