Establishing Pecking Order?

elfgirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 16, 2013
North Alabama
Our chickens are 9 weeks old tomorrow. Sixteen hens, one definite rooster, and one suspect, lol. The past few days they have been what looks like arguing and fussing. They don't actually do anything to each other, but they fluff up and stare at each other, then one will turn around and walk away. I assume they are working on their pecking order? Also, the little rooster has been crowing for a few weeks, and he seems to be trying to practice mating. He'll jump on a hen's back, grab her neck, then she'll shake him off and fuss at him. Is this normal for this age?

pecking order just comes they don't really fight over it. they might be telling others to back off their food. yes your rooster is practicing mating.

Thanks. They usually only fuss when I first let them out in the mornings and at bedtime. Nobody is getting hurt. It's kind of funny to watch.

Pecking order is worked out very early in a new flock and the top positions are already established by 9 weeks. The lower chickens are the ones that tend to start fighting for position at this point.

We have four ~16 weeks old pullets and I know that the "low chicken" of our older hens is doing her best to make sure that she is going to move up in the flock.

BTW some roos are close to being ready to breed by 9 weeks so he might not be practicing!

Last edited:
I never imagined he might be close to ready, then again he was trying to crow at six weeks,and the past week really is putting on a show.He gets on the highest spot in the run and struts. Our other suspect is just now becoming roosterish, lol. They are both Easter Eggers, for what it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom