"European Farmers Fight Cow Flatulence Tax Plan"

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by country lady, Mar 12, 2009.

1. country lady

country lady Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    This story was on Fox News yesterday. If I remember correctly, the Irish threatened to send their cattle to South Africa and the government backed down.

This topic can get really silly. How about the cattle in India--now there's a real money maker for their government? Or the roaming wild animals? Could it be the hot air that is coming from the politicians is the real culprit of global warming?

EC, could you explain how Brussels has so much influence over your country and Europe? We don't always hear the world news here.

Glad you are back, enjoyed your pictures.

2. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    When I first heard news reports on cow farts affecting the air I was a little skeptical. I had the same skepticism about spray cans. They must have some pretty compelling evidence to go to all the trouble. Are there really that many cattle in Europe? I was in Germany and beef was rare on a menu. The only place that served hamburgers was McDonalds. All the restaurants served numerous pork dishes. The only cows were dairy cows.

Methane Man

3. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Songster

Nov 14, 2008
    OMG, a fart tax!!!

I will be broke and I don't even have any cattle... [​IMG]:gig

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap

My Ken's "gas" can peel paint.

5. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    They'd have to tax humans as well... (I'm dead serious)

6. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Songster

Guess what: sheep and cows, being ruminants with multiple stomachs, belch methane. Cows have been measured in sealed conditions to belch 200 litres per day. If they could can it it would run your car with lots leftover. Given the hundreds of millions of cows and sheep around the world, Australia is trying to breed a sheep that belches less using stomach bacteria from kangaroos (sound ridiculous? yes, but its true)
    Here's a science radio show from the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) that tells the story.
    http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/archives/07-08/feb02.html

Methane (besides being flamable) is 20 times more destructive than CO2 when it comes to climate change. Methane levels today are three times higher than 100 years ago, and scientists worry that methane frozen and trapped below the tundra in Canada, Alaska, and Siberia could thaw and be released doubling the speed of climate change.
    The recent book Climate Wars explains the subject and how world militaries (USA, Britain, India) have war scenarios that involve defending their borders from climate refugees. The biggest worry about climate change is a radical reduction in world food production with a world population of over 6 billion.
    Scary? yep. but its real: just listen to the news, California state of emergency due to rivers running dry and then summer wildfires, Australia and Argentina recently lost tens of thousands of cattle and sheep due to drought.

7. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Those pesky scientist's. If they would just mind their own business the politicians wouldn't pass all those laws. As usual it sounds like we only got part of the story. Where is Paul Harvey when you need him.

Thank You Baron

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  8. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    It's not the animals causing so much damage.... it's the human race..... perhaps if we could learn to understand that we don't need "everything" and need it now, then we could all work sensibly to reducing climate change..... greed has brought us to what is happening now.......... getting off soapbox.....

9. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    That's very true, but for the last few years there's been an attack on science. It's easier to deny the science than to do anything about the problem. Al Gore is labeled an alarmist, but it's not like the problem can be cured overnight. Fortunately there are steps being taken. As usual those steps are going to squash some toes. One thing always remains the same. You can't please all the people all the time.

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Quote:True Methane Man....true

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: