Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

92994_9basque35.jpg

Keeping his ladies in line.

Lovely pictures! I would post pictures of mine, but they were just in with the rooster all winter and in various degrees of disarray in the feather department! They were sunbathing yesterday as it was one of the first nice hot days. I find the Spanish breeds will lay out in the sun or dustbath on the hottest days while all the others hide in the shade. But hot up here is probably nowhere near like hot down there!
wink.png

We have found one property way away from neighbours (as I'll be keeping at least 3-5 roosters) but have to sell this place first. Requirements (based on projected chickenry) are we want at least an acre and no neighbours close by! It's just us doing the farming s it's to much.

How old are your Euskal Oiloa now? They usually start to lay around the 4 month mark, but we have had them delayed to 5-6 months they were hatched in Mid to late July. That is a great price. These are so extremely rare, to sell them for $100-150 a dozen like some other rare breeds will stop everyone having a chance to try them. Doing it this way is awesome for the breed!

Quote:
Honestly I wouldn't know if they were laying cause I've been letting them roam the woods from morning till night.. They are about 22 weeks now. I was thinking they're probably laying some but I've not seen any eggs yet. They go so deep in the woods that they probably have a spot out there,lol. Who knows? But im gonna wait a while anyways before I start collecting. I have noticed that they go out in the field in full sun and chase bugs when the others will hide in shade.
I'd been debating on a price for a while but just didn't see no sence in charging crazy prices for a rare bird that honestly needs to get out in peoples back yards and farm lands and do its job. Its to good of a breed to keep at bay as a profit machine. Plus it needs to start getting a loyal following so we can start preserving it. Don't you agree?
I hope you are gonna be keeping your Marradunas when you move?

Quote:
92994_2011-06-04_15-32-32_439.jpg

I have 3 age groups. Heres some of group 2.. As soon as I open the doors they come running to me for petting and treats.
I guess I better get my outer pens ready for them. I'm gonna keep these guys running the outer parts of the woods away from the other. They're to good at eating insects put in the compounds.

Is the darker brown pullet in the last picture a Basque. Do they come in different shades of color?

I read they are "assertive". Is this towards other breeds of chickens or do they just know who they are and belly up to the feeder? Are the roos aggessive in any way?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom