Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Well I am bummed.

I was not collecting pullet eggs to hatch because they are still small.

My little trio I was so pleased with?

The cockerel bit the dust.
I had cocci in that pen a while back and was sure that I got rid of it. Maybe not
hide.gif
I'm sending him off for testing.

It's a little discouraging (okay - a lot). We've had our struggles with this breed. First, at about 12 weeks a caregiver neglected to feed the grow out pen. Several died and a hawk got a few more. We had to buy in the cockerel to replace all the ones lost.

Now I'm back to square one. I can get eggs from people locally but that still puts me at a minimum of 4 months before I can hatch any eggs.
he.gif
That is a bummer!

I might be able to get you a Rooster. I should have a bunch in Winters.

Let me know and I will check.

Well I am bummed.

I was not collecting pullet eggs to hatch because they are still small.

My little trio I was so pleased with?

The cockerel bit the dust.
I had cocci in that pen a while back and was sure that I got rid of it. Maybe not
hide.gif
I'm sending him off for testing.

It's a little discouraging (okay - a lot). We've had our struggles with this breed. First, at about 12 weeks a caregiver neglected to feed the grow out pen. Several died and a hawk got a few more. We had to buy in the cockerel to replace all the ones lost.

Now I'm back to square one. I can get eggs from people locally but that still puts me at a minimum of 4 months before I can hatch any eggs.
he.gif

You may want to retain all the eggs from them that you are now collecting. If that cockerel was doing his job, the sperm could still be active in the pullets' storage tubes and you may get fertile eggs for another 2-4 weeks. The sperm that is stored in a hen can be viable to make fertile eggs for up to 3-4 four weeks after the breeding.

I would collect those eggs and hatch every one of them.

Last edited:
You may want to retain all the eggs from them that you are now collecting. If that cockerel was doing his job, the sperm could still be active in the pullets' storage tubes and you may get fertile eggs for another 2-4 weeks. The sperm that is stored in a hen can be viable to make fertile eggs for up to 3-4 four weeks after the breeding.

I would collect those eggs and hatch every one of them.

They've only been laying two weeks and the eggs are not very big. Is that a problem?

They've only been laying two weeks and the eggs are not very big. Is that a problem?

I, personally, would take the chance. They will get larger of the next few weeks. Even if the chicks hatch out smaller, EOs do produce vigorous chicks. You will also be able to retain the genetics that you invested in with your former rooster. When my cream legbars pullets first started laying, I hatched some pullet eggs just make sure that I had some more cream legbars coming along. You never know what accidents or other misadventures may occur. I only had two pullets at the time.

I normally use pullet eggs for two purposes. Cracking them open to check fertility or for consumption. LOL - which can be done simultaneously.

Back
Top Bottom