Euthanasia

Pics

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
I can't remember where I seen this thread at but I was in a discussion about putting chickens and birds in general down when one has to.

Of course there's the neck breaking / beheading method.
Then there are the instances where one can't bring themselves up to hurting a loved pet that way, and CO2 or asphyxiant was mentioned, however is a bit more complicated to administer properly.

With this in mind. I just got out of a thread where someone unfortunately may have to put a bird down.

This brings the question. What about narcotics? Lets say Oxy's, Percocet, Lortab etc etc, one of the Opiates.

Can you give a chicken an oxycontin or a percocet say, to put it to sleep? From what I have seen with people OD'ing, they basically go into a stupor, goto sleep / go unconscious, and stop breathing / die. If you were to give a chicken a Percocet or an oxy, it should be plenty to be lethal to it. Would it just slip into a groggy sleep and OD / Die peacefully?

If one has access to these drugs, Im thinking this might be a humane way to put a hen down, especially if she's in a condition where she's in pain or suffering to begin with. It'd be eve more humane because it relieves the pain so her last moments are more comfortable too... does that even make sense?

Curious if this could work or would some other reason make it NOT work this way.

Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the reply Sue.
Am just exploring options for culling a bird that does not involve physical ... injury and is very peaceful for those very troubled by having to do the act.

I have also heard that lighter fluid will work too, but would think ether would probably be faster IMO.

Aaron

There is some debate about whether asphyxia is actually an humane way of slaughtering animals, or whether they just suffer in silence... It's used in mink, where you put them in a chamber with CO2, but from what I've heard you only ever look through the window once, because you see them struggle to breath.

Now yes, chickens are diffrent because the go to sleep in the dark, but not instantly, especially not when they are worked up about something. Are you sure these gasses develop slowly enough that the bird is already deeply asleep? Otherwise you are literally just strangling it.

Oxycontin is absolutely not acceptable. Drugs that work in humans often don't work the same way in animals.

Edit: Honestly, there's a reason why we use the methods we do. Even if they're messy, it's because they work. If it was possible to painlessly euthanize with readily-available narcotics, everyone would do it. The reason we don't it because of the risks of it going wrong, or of the animal suffering needlessly.

If an animal needs to be put down, it should be done quickly. Destruction of the brain or cervical dislocation is the quickest and most painless way to go when it comes to at-home methods. Don't make your animal suffer a botched euthanasia attempt because you don't want to get physical or can't handle the sight of blood. If you can't euthanize the animal properly for whatever reason, find someone to do it for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom