Euthanasia

Pics

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
I can't remember where I seen this thread at but I was in a discussion about putting chickens and birds in general down when one has to.

Of course there's the neck breaking / beheading method.
Then there are the instances where one can't bring themselves up to hurting a loved pet that way, and CO2 or asphyxiant was mentioned, however is a bit more complicated to administer properly.

With this in mind. I just got out of a thread where someone unfortunately may have to put a bird down.

This brings the question. What about narcotics? Lets say Oxy's, Percocet, Lortab etc etc, one of the Opiates.

Can you give a chicken an oxycontin or a percocet say, to put it to sleep? From what I have seen with people OD'ing, they basically go into a stupor, goto sleep / go unconscious, and stop breathing / die. If you were to give a chicken a Percocet or an oxy, it should be plenty to be lethal to it. Would it just slip into a groggy sleep and OD / Die peacefully?

If one has access to these drugs, Im thinking this might be a humane way to put a hen down, especially if she's in a condition where she's in pain or suffering to begin with. It'd be eve more humane because it relieves the pain so her last moments are more comfortable too... does that even make sense?

Curious if this could work or would some other reason make it NOT work this way.

Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
Oxycontin is absolutely not acceptable. Drugs that work in humans often don't work the same way in animals.

Edit: Honestly, there's a reason why we use the methods we do. Even if they're messy, it's because they work. If it was possible to painlessly euthanize with readily-available narcotics, everyone would do it. The reason we don't it because of the risks of it going wrong, or of the animal suffering needlessly.

If an animal needs to be put down, it should be done quickly. Destruction of the brain or cervical dislocation is the quickest and most painless way to go when it comes to at-home methods. Don't make your animal suffer a botched euthanasia attempt because you don't want to get physical or can't handle the sight of blood. If you can't euthanize the animal properly for whatever reason, find someone to do it for you.

Last edited:
But there ARE ways of doing it without getting physical.
THAT is what this thread is about. Discovering and discussing those options.

Aaron
Honestly, I don't really care how the human doing the deed feels about it, you're killing a living thing, it's your responserbility to be as humane as possible about it. If you really can't do that, or know anyone that can, take it to a vet.

FWIW- my understanding (I am NOT a medical professional) is that, in humans, the brain responds to a buildup of CO2 with attempts to breathe, gasping, etc. and it's that, not a lack of oxygen, that causes most of the uncomfortable sensations of not being able to breathe. This was as part of a safety training for liquid nitrogen, so many of the details don't translate, but if that holds true for other animals I don't see how a CO2 chamber could be humane for anything not already deeply sedated.
Personally, I use a firm grasp and a trusted ax-wielder.

Just a thought. If a person is not up to performing all the task associated with being a responsible poultry keeper. Maybe that person should accept the fact they are not cut out be a poultry keeper. That it is probably in the best interest of themselves and the chickens in their care. For them to direct their interest elsewhere. Using the excuse of being soft or kind hearted. While allowing an animal in your care to suffer unnecessary is still abuse!

Not concerning at all when it's in the hands of a responsible person. If a wolf or a coyote was attacking your flock, or a family member, it'd be nice to have something that can take it down in one pop. Or if someone broke into your house with the intent to do harm.
Remember, guns don't kill people, PEOPLE... kill people. The gun is merely a tool to accomplish the job, you know, like the broomstick you snap the chickens neck with :😉:

Aaron

But there ARE ways of doing it without getting physical.
THAT is what this thread is about. Discovering and discussing those options.

Aaron
There really isn't, unless you bring the animal to a veterinarian for professional euthanasia.

Drugs are absolutely not an option here because they rarely work the same way in animals as they do in humans, and even then, there's a very romanticized idea of what an overdose looks like.

No, it's not a "peaceful" or "quiet" death. It's aspirating your own stomach acid and vomit into your lungs. It's having a seizure that breaks your bones. It's your diaphragm being paralyzed and leaving you to slowly suffocate to death. It's not peaceful at all, it's horrible and traumatic for both the animal and the person who has to watch their animal die in such a distressing manner.

Carbon Monoxide is not a totally painless way to die I believe, Id have to actually research that a bit and see for sure. There IS an added cost, now you have to run an engine, which needs fuel to get the CO.

Also for those who are complaining that I am implying to get illegal drugs. Chill out already geez, NOBODY said to obtain any drugs illegally.

Chuck, the thread where I was in this convo earlier was with a certified veterinarian who went into the detail of using CO2 properly and said that when used PROPERLY, it brings on a euphoria, and relaxed state, then they slip off quietly.

This conversation is a GOOD thing to have, because when people's pets have an issue, especially if it was something sudden, they may possibly panic, and know they NEED to do the deed, but don't want to break the things neck, and may start coming up with quick first things that come to mind. Which may not be good ways to do it.

Discussing it NOW, helps one make a proper choice, god forbid LATER if they have to follow through.

Aaron

My husband brought up a 1st Nation's practice for ceremonial sacrifices of sacred birds, 3 large breaths of tobacco was used to subdue and kill the bird. I know birds in general have sensitive respiratory systems. I don't know that this is necessarily less painful to the bird than an ether chamber, from what I've read it can take 30 plus minutes for the bird to pass, whereas 3 solid plumes of smoke and death. I have always wondered why more animals are not sedated before slaughter, I want to say I've heard about pigs being given alcohol before slaughter but I'm not honestly sure about that. I understand on a mass scale it's all about cost efficiency, but for the home butcher it makes sense to me to have something more peaceful.
I process quail regularly, the first two birds were the most difficult. I cried and thought about it for weeks. However my ability to withstand that pain allowed me to make thier deaths as calm and swift as possible. It made me appreciate life in a way I had never really grasped.
So yes, there are hands off methods to put an animal down, but the important thing is: is it easier on the bird or you?
If we had a sedation protocol followed with decapitation or cutting the main arteries that would be ideal in my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom