Euthanasia

But there ARE ways of doing it without getting physical.
THAT is what this thread is about. Discovering and discussing those options.

Aaron
There really isn't, unless you bring the animal to a veterinarian for professional euthanasia.

Drugs are absolutely not an option here because they rarely work the same way in animals as they do in humans, and even then, there's a very romanticized idea of what an overdose looks like.

No, it's not a "peaceful" or "quiet" death. It's aspirating your own stomach acid and vomit into your lungs. It's having a seizure that breaks your bones. It's your diaphragm being paralyzed and leaving you to slowly suffocate to death. It's not peaceful at all, it's horrible and traumatic for both the animal and the person who has to watch their animal die in such a distressing manner.

Carbon Monoxide is not a totally painless way to die I believe, Id have to actually research that a bit and see for sure. There IS an added cost, now you have to run an engine, which needs fuel to get the CO.

Also for those who are complaining that I am implying to get illegal drugs. Chill out already geez, NOBODY said to obtain any drugs illegally.

Chuck, the thread where I was in this convo earlier was with a certified veterinarian who went into the detail of using CO2 properly and said that when used PROPERLY, it brings on a euphoria, and relaxed state, then they slip off quietly.

This conversation is a GOOD thing to have, because when people's pets have an issue, especially if it was something sudden, they may possibly panic, and know they NEED to do the deed, but don't want to break the things neck, and may start coming up with quick first things that come to mind. Which may not be good ways to do it.

Discussing it NOW, helps one make a proper choice, god forbid LATER if they have to follow through.

Aaron

But there ARE ways of doing it without getting physical.
THAT is what this thread is about. Discovering and discussing those options.

Aaron
Honestly, I don't really care how the human doing the deed feels about it, you're killing a living thing, it's your responserbility to be as humane as possible about it. If you really can't do that, or know anyone that can, take it to a vet.

Do NOT use carbon monoxide. CO poisoning results in dizziness, headache, vomiting, chest pain, heart arrhythmias, and seizures before death. It's unacceptable for humane euthanasia.

The only method involving gas that is accepted by the VCA is a CO2 chamber.
Back off. It was just a thought. I use a broomstick.

Carbon Monoxide is not a totally painless way to die I believe, Id have to actually research that a bit and see for sure. There IS an added cost, now you have to run an engine, which needs fuel to get the CO.

Also for those who are complaining that I am implying to get illegal drugs. Chill out already geez, NOBODY said to obtain any drugs illegally.

Chuck, the thread where I was in this convo earlier was with a certified veterinarian who went into the detail of using CO2 properly and said that when used PROPERLY, it brings on a euphoria, and relaxed state, then they slip off quietly.

This conversation is a GOOD thing to have, because when people's pets have an issue, especially if it was something sudden, they may possibly panic, and know they NEED to do the deed, but don't want to break the things neck, and may start coming up with quick first things that come to mind. Which may not be good ways to do it.

Discussing it NOW, helps one make a proper choice, god forbid LATER if they have to follow through.

Aaron
If your animal is in a state where you need to euthanize it, taking time to make an entire CO2 chamber is just making the animal suffer longer.
I use a broomstick.
I use a broomstick as well. Instant death and painless for the animal. Their wings will flap a bit, but that's just nerves.

There really isn't, unless you bring the animal to a veterinarian for professional euthanasia.

Drugs are absolutely not an option here because they rarely work the same way in animals as they do in humans, and even then, there's a very romanticized idea of what an overdose looks like.

No, it's not a "peaceful" or "quiet" death. It's aspirating your own stomach acid and vomit into your lungs. It's having a seizure that breaks your bones. It's your diaphragm being paralyzed and leaving you to slowly suffocate to death. It's not peaceful at all, it's horrible and traumatic for both the animal and the person who has to watch their animal die in such a distressing manner.
Not exactly looking to start and argument but that is not the case. Not every overdose ends that way, especially opiates. Opiates repress the respiratory system and people stop breathing. You are describing something completely different.

It's your diaphragm being paralyzed and leaving you to slowly suffocate to death. It's not peaceful at all, it's horrible and traumatic for both the animal and the person who has to watch their animal die in such a distressing manner.

No, many OD's happen peacefully, w/o all the above mentioned. YES that can happen in circumstances but if it's controlled, can be prevented. At the I guess you could say cellular level, yes all that is happening but the person / pet is totally unaware because they are unconscious / in a coma etc. Just like when you go into the hospital for surgery, cutting you open, removing stuff is excruciatingly painful, but you haven't the first clue because you basically slept through it all... if the anesthiaologist ..sp.. did their job right.

Also, and im not looking to get into a discussion about drug dosages' but there is a difference between a minor overdose and a major one.

Also, snapping a neck with a broom handle Id imagine is VERY painful as well, but if the animal don't feel it, or it's super quick, then it's ok right? So why would one painless way be ok and the other not, BOTH are killing. Is it REALLY painless or, just you rendered the animal incapable of telling you it is, so you can feel better about it?

how to put down a chicken

mix together 500mg of ground up acetaminophen (Tylenol) with two tablets, each 100mg, of Valerian root and made a liquid. Both acetaminophen and Valerian root calm nerves and muscles and is deadly to a chicken in these quantities. I gave my chicken this mix through a dropper in her mouth, and within half an hour I could notice her becoming increasingly relaxed. However, this method may take a while for the effects.

Back
Top Bottom