Euthanasia

Just a thought. If a person is not up to performing all the task associated with being a responsible poultry keeper. Maybe that person should accept the fact they are not cut out be a poultry keeper. That it is probably in the best interest of themselves and the chickens in their care. For them to direct their interest elsewhere. Using the excuse of being soft or kind hearted. While allowing an animal in your care to suffer unnecessary is still abuse!

The chicken could also die peacefully one night in it's sleep after living to a ripe old age. Do we tell everyone feint of heart no pets EVER for you now?

If you can snap it's spine and watch it die in your hands, that's good that you have the courage to do the right thing when it's time. If you give it a pill and it quietly, and less convulsively accomplishes the same thing, well isn't that good too? I mean, the end desired result is your animal is put down in as painless of a manner as you can w/o suffering for hours or days waiting for whatever 'method' to take place.

You point is very well taken though. How many chickens and ducks are sold as peepers around easter time because people think they are cute, and want to give them to their screaming brats.... and end up dead two weeks later because of god only knows.

Oh relax Aaron, it's just a friggin chiggin for crying out loud, a 2 dollar peep, nobody cares. THAT!! IS.... the problem. people NEED to care. Also agreed, there are plenty of people out there who should NOT have pets period. Dogs, Cats, Chickens, Birds, or otherwise. Half them should not have children either IMO but that's another topic. Too bad we can't round up people and sterilize them like we do at animal shelters.

Aaron

The chicken could also die peacefully one night in it's sleep after living to a ripe old age. Do we tell everyone feint of heart no pets EVER for you now?

If you can snap it's spine and watch it die in your hands, that's good that you have the courage to do the right thing when it's time. If you give it a pill and it quietly, and less convulsively accomplishes the same thing, well isn't that good too? I mean, the end desired result is your animal is put down in as painless of a manner as you can w/o suffering for hours or days waiting for whatever 'method' to take place.

You point is very well taken though. How many chickens and ducks are sold as peepers around easter time because people think they are cute, and want to give them to their screaming brats.... and end up dead two weeks later because of god only knows.

Oh relax Aaron, it's just a friggin chiggin for crying out loud, a 2 dollar peep, nobody cares. THAT!! IS.... the problem. people NEED to care. Also agreed, there are plenty of people out there who should NOT have pets period. Dogs, Cats, Chickens, Birds, or otherwise. Half them should not have children either IMO but that's another topic. Too bad we can't round up people and sterilize them like we do at animal shelters.

Aaron
The issue here is that "giving it a pill" isn't a peaceful death, it's a major overdose. We've already been over what happens during opiate overdoses. I can't think of a single "pill" that allows for a "peaceful" overdose.

The quickest and most humane method would be decapitation or cervical dislocation, especially when you take into account how long it would take for the pill to be digested and begin to show symptoms, and then how long the time is between symptoms and death.

Edit: And if your animal is in a state where it needs to be euthanized, is it even humane to let it suffer for however long it takes for the pill(s) to go into effect? Why not just suck it up and put the animal out of its misery immediately, or find someone else that can?

Edit: And if your animal is in a state where it needs to be euthanized, is it even humane to let it suffer for however long it takes for the pill(s) to go into effect? Why not just suck it up and put the animal out of its misery immediately, or find someone else that can?
lets put this in terms of a dog, shall we? when you put down a dog, it is an injection at a vets office. this takes around 5-10 minutes to take effect. But no one says anything about that. You would never snap a dog's neck to "put it out of its misery". how is this much different?

Interesting topic but I feel like it's getting side tracked. Yes, there are multiple ways to kill a chicken in your care. One might be better than another, but that's an opinion. One thing we must all remember, there is more than one way to do something and we are all going to do what we feel we can or that is best. Don't worry about how someone else deals with their flock, that's none of your business

lets put this in terms of a dog, shall we? when you put down a dog, it is an injection at a vets office. this takes around 5-10 minutes to take effect. But no one says anything about that. You would never snap a dog's neck to "put it out of its misery". how is this much different?
It entirely depends on why the dog is being put down. I wouldn't snap a dog's neck because of the difficulty of doing so properly. If my dog was fatally injured or something and needs to be put down immediately, I would do a field euthanasia.

If the dog is sick or wasting away, then I would bring it to the vet for a humane euthanasia.

If my bird is injured or dying and needs to be put down, I would do a field euthanasia.

If my bird is sick or wasting away, then I would bring it to the vet for a humane euthanasia. If the vet isn't an option, I'm going with field euthanasia.

You have to take into consideration how long it would take to do everything.

My dog is injured and dying and needs to be put down now. Can she wait for me to drive her to the vet? Can she wait for them to be ready to take her in? For them to prepare the euthanasia? For the euthanasia to be administered? For it to go into effect?

If the animal needs immediate euthanasia, then you euthanize it immediately. If you can't do that, find someone who can. The animal shouldn't have to suffer for a prolonged period of time because its owner doesn't want to get messy or is afraid of getting physical.

Edit: The point here is that when we're trying to euthanize an animal, it's because the animal is actively suffering and needs to be put down as an act of mercy. If the animal can wait a short time, then take it to the vet for a professional euthanasia. Unfortunately that isn't a possibility for a lot of people, and if that's the case then you need to be able to put the animal down as quickly as possible with the least amount of suffering. Pills would take too long to digest and go into effect, and we don't know what side effects an overdose will result in. Overdosing on pills also is not peaceful whatsoever -- anyone who has had to respond to calls of overdoses would tell you that. Cervical dislocation or decapitation are the most reliable methods for immediate, humane euthanasia.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom