Euthanasia

how to put down a chicken

mix together 500mg of ground up acetaminophen (Tylenol) with two tablets, each 100mg, of Valerian root and made a liquid. Both acetaminophen and Valerian root calm nerves and muscles and is deadly to a chicken in these quantities. I gave my chicken this mix through a dropper in her mouth, and within half an hour I could notice her becoming increasingly relaxed. However, this method may take a while for the effects.
Cecil. Tylenol is deadly to MANY animals, cats, dogs. It wrecks the livers, can crystalize in the kidneys, all kinds of nasty stuff. If it takes a few hours to put the bird down. I don't know of what exactly it dies for the final straw but if it draws out the process and is tearing organs up over the length of hours, not sure it's a better way.

Very intriguing though, I will have to research and see exactly which vector this works on. Ive seen people OD on asprin before, yes asprin, and it was a long terrible end for them. Ill need to learn more of this method but thank you for bringing it up!

Aaron

Not exactly looking to start and argument but that is not the case. Not every overdose ends that way, especially opiates. Opiates repress the respiratory system and people stop breathing. You are describing something completely different.
It depends on the drug used, but yes, those are all possible outcomes of an opiate overdose.

Also, and im not looking to get into a discussion about drug dosages' but there is a difference between a minor overdose and a major one.
If you're giving an animal an overdose powerful enough to kill them, then it's a major overdose.

Cecil. Tylenol is deadly to MANY animals, cats, dogs. It wrecks the livers, can crystalize in the kidneys, all kinds of nasty stuff. If it takes a few hours to put the bird down. I don't know of what exactly it dies for the final straw but if it draws out the process and is tearing organs up over the length of hours, not sure it's a better way.

Very intriguing though, I will have to research and see exactly which vector this works on. Ive seen people OD on asprin before, yes asprin, and it was a long terrible end for them. Ill need to learn more of this method but thank you for bringing it up!

Aaron
That’s what the Valerian root is for. It’s like melatonin but more deadly. 💕
Cecilia

That’s what the Valerian root is for. It’s like melatonin but more deadly. 💕
Cecilia
Could you use just the Valerian Root? Still looking for sigs of poisoning in birds and exactly how but it appears the tylenol can wreck the red blood cells, essentially causing asphyxiation because they can't bring oxygen to the body anymore.

About how long did your method take to kill the bird? Not trying to be accusatory or anything, just trying to get full data on this method here. The more one knows, the better decisions they can make in the future.

Thank you
Aaron

how to put down a chicken

mix together 500mg of ground up acetaminophen (Tylenol) with two tablets, each 100mg, of Valerian root and made a liquid. Both acetaminophen and Valerian root calm nerves and muscles and is deadly to a chicken in these quantities. I gave my chicken this mix through a dropper in her mouth, and within half an hour I could notice her becoming increasingly relaxed. However, this method may take a while for the effects.
How long did it take for this to kill your bird?

My husband brought up a 1st Nation's practice for ceremonial sacrifices of sacred birds, 3 large breaths of tobacco was used to subdue and kill the bird. I know birds in general have sensitive respiratory systems. I don't know that this is necessarily less painful to the bird than an ether chamber, from what I've read it can take 30 plus minutes for the bird to pass, whereas 3 solid plumes of smoke and death. I have always wondered why more animals are not sedated before slaughter, I want to say I've heard about pigs being given alcohol before slaughter but I'm not honestly sure about that. I understand on a mass scale it's all about cost efficiency, but for the home butcher it makes sense to me to have something more peaceful.
I process quail regularly, the first two birds were the most difficult. I cried and thought about it for weeks. However my ability to withstand that pain allowed me to make thier deaths as calm and swift as possible. It made me appreciate life in a way I had never really grasped.
So yes, there are hands off methods to put an animal down, but the important thing is: is it easier on the bird or you?
If we had a sedation protocol followed with decapitation or cutting the main arteries that would be ideal in my humble opinion.

Well. let's not stop. Tincture of oleander, nightshade, or belladonna.
No, no, no. Absolutely not.

I'm sorry, I try to keep my personal opinions out of this and have an open mind, but if someone is seriously considering poisoning their own animal with deadly toxins because they're scared of blood or getting physical, in my opinion they have no business keeping that (or any other) animal.

Firstly, oleander sap is an extreme irritant. The sap is caustic and touching it can result in hives. Oleander poisoning results in stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, shock, weakness, lethargy, headache, tremors, seizures, dizziness, blurred vision, and confusion.

Black nightshade results in diarrhea, stomach pain, vomiting, shock, delirium, hallucinations, headache, paralysis, and hyperthermia. Death is the result of arrhythmia and respiratory failure. Symptoms won't set in for hours.

Belladonna results in blurred vision, tachycardia, staggering, headache, rash, blushing, severely dry mouth/throat, urinary retention, constipation, confusion, hallucinations, delirium, and convulsions. In many domestic animals it causes narcosis and paralysis.

Last edited:
(I dont believe in cutting things off animals, i want them to be as free and as wild as possible

Could you use just the Valerian Root? Still looking for sigs of poisoning in birds and exactly how but it appears the tylenol can wreck the red blood cells, essentially causing asphyxiation because they can't bring oxygen to the body anymore.

About how long did your method take to kill the bird? Not trying to be accusatory or anything, just trying to get full data on this method here. The more one knows, the better decisions they can make in the future.

Thank you
Aaron
She may have asphyxiated but she was asleep as it happened
How long did it take for this to kill your bird?
Around 20 minutes, 5 of that was her trying to fall asleep though. It didn't look painful, but I am not a chicken.

Edit: and of course the like half hour of being in a relaxed daze in my arms.

Back
Top Bottom