Evaluate my Jersey Giants

They all have very good width and depth and good heads. The only thing I would change is Giants need a “rather long” back. Yours have long backs but more moderately. The tails could also be longer and more well spread, but they are correctly angled at 30 degrees.
Also the white toenails, a one point defect.
Very nice birds.
I agree on your top pick. She has all the length and a better tail spread.
This one is too u shaped (high tail, short back) and I think she has white tipping or maybe that’s just the lighting.

Thank you! I have similar opinions on them, particularly the length of back. I wondered about the hair feathers so good to know it isn't a huge deal. Every one of the pullets has them to some extent. The pullet in my avatar has now started holding her tail at a 90* angle at all times. She was very promising at the time I took that picture (although with a heavy tail), but now not so much.

I'm eyeing stock from my mentor for this year if she is shipping again. Her's look like feathered bricks.

I can certainly attest to gangly birds gaining mass as they age. One of these girls was very scrawny until about a month ago I finally started to take notice of her.

To update this, my black Giants were looking promising when I first posted but I feel they sort of "fell apart" with age. They're nice birds, don't get me wrong, but in my opinion more of a home egg/meat production quality than serious breeding program quality.

I was raising some white Giants at the same time and after sorting and culling, ended up with what I consider a good starting pair plus an extra male.

IMG_1073.jpeg

IMG_1054.jpeg

To update this, my black Giants were looking promising when I first posted but I feel they sort of "fell apart" with age. They're nice birds, don't get me wrong, but in my opinion more of a home egg/meat production quality than serious breeding program quality.

I was raising some white Giants at the same time and after sorting and culling, ended up with what I consider a good starting pair plus an extra male.

View attachment 3506289
View attachment 3506290
Gorgeous!

Thank you! These guys took much longer to come into their own so I never really showed them off. I walked out one day and my jaw dropped. Like where did you come from?

Back
Top Bottom