Evaluate my Jersey Giants

I had to do a lot of culling. You can see on my hen there's yellow on her legs. Half of the chicks had solid yellow legs, a DQ. This was the ONLY female with mostly willow legs. I have some more chicks from the same source so I'm hoping for more girls and I'm saving eggs from this pair. 🤞

Your English Orpingtons are beautiful! If I had room for a second breed, I'd be hard pressed to turn down Orps.

English Orpingtons are like that. They are just fat little goofy birds and then one day, BOOM.
Glow Up Anne Hathaway GIF

Glow up.
Delawares are like that too. Young Delawares are fattiez.

Delawares are like that too. Young Delawares are fattiez.
I always love a little chunky fat Orpington cockerel who's legs are too short to see them when they walk through the grass. And then one day you go out to feed, and he's crowing and look amazing. It's like little Neville Longbottom. Haha
neville-longbottom-antes-y-despues.jpg

Last edited:
I always love a little chunky fat Orpington cockerel how's legs are too short to see them when they walk through the grass. And then one day you go out to feed, and he's crowing and look amazing. It's like little Neville Longbottom. Haha
neville-longbottom-antes-y-despues.jpg
Haha, the Orps do grow up to be pretty floof though. The Delware lack of floof definitely makes them look strappin'. The girls get pretty fat when they are older, though. I need to put them on a diet, lol.

Haha, the Orps do grow up to be pretty floof though. The Delware lack of floof definitely makes them look strappin'. The girls get pretty fat when they are older, though. I need to put them on a diet, lol.
I had two Deleware rescue hens. They were fun birds.

I had two Deleware rescue hens. They were fun birds.
Lacey, our older one, is very bold and loves food (especially loving to steal the cat's food :/). She liked standing on the sheep when we had them and she doesn't mind us.
The young Dellies also love standing on the sheep, lol. Delawares are fun, fast-growing, tasty meat birds. They eat a lot. Baby Delaware's are so lazy they pretend they don't know how to use the nipple waterer and beg for the waterers I am putting in the cages. I thought they were dumb but they just like playing dumb and acting. They remind me of my pigeon fledglings a lot, actually. Though now the boys are the meatheads of the barnyard and are interested only in gains and girls. But they have a good relationship with human beings. Sorta friendly but not too friendly.

IMG_3226.JPG

The Black Giant project isn't dead! I treated myself to hatching eggs from a different breeder for my birthday. Got this guy and a really nice pullet growing out from that group. They just turned 4 months old. Normally that's too young to evaluate, but they're already miles ahead of the black Giants I started with.

View attachment 3626294
The Black Giant project isn't dead! I treated myself to hatching eggs from a different breeder for my birthday. Got this guy and a really nice pullet growing out from that group. They just turned 4 months old. Normally that's too young to evaluate, but they're already miles ahead of the black Giants I started with.
Why are it's tail feather messed up?

Back
Top Bottom