Evaluating a bad hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by imaleomom, May 18, 2009.

1. imaleomom

imaleomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SC
    So where do I start? How can I begin to evaluate what went wrong? I had 40 eggs in the bator. Only 8 hatched. One pipped and died.

Temps/humidity seemed to be stable & appropriate throughout incubation & hatch.

Where would you start? I didn't candle, but might open the eggs in a few more days to see what I can see...

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Don't wait on opening the eggs...think about it...rot and decay will set in. [​IMG] Check them now so that you can tell how many were "clear-non-fertile", how many made it to a small embrionic stage, how many made it to pretty well full developed, etc.,.

What were your temps and humidity throughout the incubation period? Any temperature spikes? Power outages? Humidity get excessively low or high?

I was reading some in one of Jull's books yesterday (1930-40 vintage) and (if I remember correctly) it stated that the highest embryo mortality rate was during days 2-4 and 18-21. Seems during those times oxygen is critical while the earlier days also have some serious chemical/mineral processes going on.

I'm no expert for sure, but provide the hatching data (temp, humidity, etc.) and I bet some of the experience folks will be able to point some things out to you. [​IMG]

ETA: Also, were your eggs shipped through the post office, UPS, etc.? Shipped eggs seem to have a low hatch rate...most people seem to think 50-60% hatch rate on shipped eggs is pretty good.

Best wishes,
    Ed

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:Don't wait on opening the eggs...think about it...rot and decay will set in. [​IMG] Check them now so that you can tell how many were "clear-non-fertile", how many made it to a small embrionic stage, how many made it to pretty well full developed, etc.,.

What were your temps and humidity throughout the incubation period? Any temperature spikes? Power outages? Humidity get excessively low or high?

I was reading some in one of Jull's books yesterday (1930-40 vintage) and (if I remember correctly) it stated that the highest embryo mortality rate was during days 2-4 and 18-21. Seems during those times oxygen is critical while the earlier days also have some serious chemical/mineral processes going on.

I'm no expert for sure, but provide the hatching data (temp, humidity, etc.) and I bet some of the experience folks will be able to point some things out to you. [​IMG]

ETA: Also, were your eggs shipped through the post office, UPS, etc.? Shipped eggs seem to have a low hatch rate...most people seem to think 50-60% hatch rate on shipped eggs is pretty good.

Best wishes,
    Ed

well said. give us more info, also what day are you on ? ie; is this day 22? or 26? what kind of eggs? what do you consider stable and appropriate temp and humidity?

4. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    What kind of eggs?
    What kind of bator?
    What temperature?
    How many days did it take for the ones to finish hatching?

5. imaleomom

imaleomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SC
    Ok lets see.

These were shipped eggs (40). No temperature spikes. Humidity in the 60's ~ were in a humid place so there really isn't any escaping this.

Eggs were C. Maran, EE, bantam cochin, and Japanese BTW.
    2 Marans hatched, 5 cochins hatched, 1 EE hatched (1 pipped and died).
    I cochin hatched Friday afternoon (day19) everybody hatched sunday (day 21). No movement, no sound coming from what's left.

These are in a LG still air. Crappy, I know...but have had plenty of successful hatches....

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    well, I would "eggtopsy" now to see at what stages they quit, that will give quite a bit more to go on.

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I would carefully-candle before I did anything. Alot of times eggs can go late with a spread out hatch, I have had them hatch from day 20 to day 24 in the same incubation.

8. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Shipped eggs....hatch rates 0%-100%....let's say 50% and lower your egg count to 20 eggs.

Humidity at 60% for the entire incubation period...I would say that was a very significant factor that very well may have lowered your hatch rate to what it was. How were the chicks that hatched....very wet?....just most?....dry? Did the chicks that hatched seem "mushy" or "firm and lively"?

When you check the eggs and if you find fully developed chicks then they either died from a genetic issue or drowned upon pipping the membrane.

One other curiosity that I have....did you have ventilation holes opened??

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by