ever had a hen SOOOO broody that...

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
...you had to PEEL her off the eggs twice a day or else she would never poop, and even worse, that you had to force-feed because she refused to eat or drink on her own as being off her eggs for longer than 10 seconds was torture??
he.gif

ah, i love my crazy silkie hen but after a week of fasting she's become skin and bones, i now have no choice...

two more weeks until the wee babies arrive.

*le sigh*

I had one broody for 12 weeks straight before I finally allowed her to sit on eggs... then add another 3 weeks to that.

Talk about skeletal. Yours will be fine. If you can move her to a separate pen you can give her intensive food (I use high protein 22% pellets soaked in water with a scrambled egg) in there that she can peck away at and the others can't inhale.

Ah Yes, aren't they fun? We have a little Ameraucana bantam mix that loves to go broody. The last time we let her set on eggs we would literally have to lock her out of the pen so she would eat, drink and poop. We have her back on eggs now and so far she has been good getting up once a day but we are watching her closely.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that she was in a broody breaker cage for a good month before SHE broke ME and I finally let her have some eggs, I felt so sorry for her
roll.png

Miss Angie is alone in a baby condo with tons of food, fresh water, heat lamp, the works.

She refuses to even look at anything except her precious eggs, it's nuts.

I'm afraid she would waste away in that nest unless I forced her out of it twice a day and now I have to force-feed her wet fortified mash, she's starting to look ill!

*shakes head*

Back
Top Bottom