Ever hear of "Amber sex links?"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dlaciv12, Apr 20, 2009.

1. dlaciv12

dlaciv12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    The feed store says they are getting 100 "amber sex-links" from a hatchery in Missouri on Wednesday. I have been holding out for some RIR's and barred rocks but no one seems to have any. Has anyone heard of these birds or know anything about them? I am looking for lots of eggs and I guess the cross breeds produce more eggs at an earlier age? But I was also hoping for dual purpose so I can put them in the pot later in life. Any help would be great.
    Thanks!

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I seen tractor supply had these to and I have never heard of them but bought a couple just outa curiosity and so far they seem to be like a cinnamon queen.Only a week old so it's hard to tell the feathering will be like as adults.

3. dlaciv12

dlaciv12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    By the way, DON"T google the term "amber sex link" when the kids are around!!!

4. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
  5. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
  6. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I bought them also, hoping they would lay white eggs, being as they were yellow chicks & feathering in white. But nope, they will lay lots of light brown eggs according to what I have found while googling lol. I will keep them though, as I really like having something different and I think they are pretty!

7. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Mt. Healthy had those this year - I didn't buy any, but it has a pic of the pullets on the site, and it tells a little (very little) about them. I believe they are egg layers, not dual purpose.

meri

8. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Hmm now I wish I would have got more of these.LOL! Thanks for the info!

9. sensible01

sensible01 New Egg

Apr 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Bahahahahaha I made this mistake shortly after purchasing our 8 baby Amber Sex Links from TSC weeks ago. I hadn't heard of them either and wanted some Buff Orpingtons but didn't want to wait until CO OP had theirs in. So far, I'm happy with my Ambers; they are just over a month old and have grown quickly and while pretty pale, have nice feathering. They are supposed to develop some brownish speckles but we haven't seen any yet.
    But yeah, don't go surfing the net for amber sex links.....unless you're prepared....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by