Ever hear of "Amber sex links?"

dlaciv12

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 12, 2008
Brockton, MA
The feed store says they are getting 100 "amber sex-links" from a hatchery in Missouri on Wednesday. I have been holding out for some RIR's and barred rocks but no one seems to have any. Has anyone heard of these birds or know anything about them? I am looking for lots of eggs and I guess the cross breeds produce more eggs at an earlier age? But I was also hoping for dual purpose so I can put them in the pot later in life. Any help would be great.
Thanks!

I bought them also, hoping they would lay white eggs, being as they were yellow chicks & feathering in white. But nope, they will lay lots of light brown eggs according to what I have found while googling lol. I will keep them though, as I really like having something different and I think they are pretty!

Mt. Healthy had those this year - I didn't buy any, but it has a pic of the pullets on the site, and it tells a little (very little) about them. I believe they are egg layers, not dual purpose.

meri

By the way, DON"T google the term "amber sex link" when the kids are around!!!

Bahahahahaha I made this mistake shortly after purchasing our 8 baby Amber Sex Links from TSC weeks ago. I hadn't heard of them either and wanted some Buff Orpingtons but didn't want to wait until CO OP had theirs in. So far, I'm happy with my Ambers; they are just over a month old and have grown quickly and while pretty pale, have nice feathering. They are supposed to develop some brownish speckles but we haven't seen any yet.
But yeah, don't go surfing the net for amber sex links.....unless you're prepared....

Back
Top Bottom