Ever nuetered a rooster?

Pics

Colorado Chick

Songster
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
PLEASE READ ALL POSTS (ESPECIALLY MINE) BEFORE RESPONDING. Thank you!
So come to find out I have two 7-8 wk old roosters, and I have gotten so attached to them! I can't keep them in the city. My husband mentioned nuetering them. So I am reading up on it and so far I have found it usually is done around 3-4 weeks. I honestly doubt I will do it, but I thought I would inquire about it anyway. My main question is when it is done, would it keep them from crowing? I do know that it reduces aggression, and they get fat. Getting fat is already one Mark against the process. Me being selfish and nuetering a bird just to keep it is another! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ever neutered a rooster?
Ahhhhh...
um-no.gif

With a creature such as poultry, castration is inhumane.
Re home/feed your family w/said bird in a humane way or find somebody to make the decision not to scalpel open such a fragile organism. Roosters are in between the cost of 10 to $20 (a bag of feed for your flock) - to make them suffer unconscionable undertaking is ridiculous., Re home or consume. We try to behave as humans. Not inhumane.
IF POSSIBLE

Caponizing, not easy cause the testicles are internal, but will stop crowing and make them pretty docile. Many yrs ago was a common practice before today's CX meat birds. I've bought the tools, and almost used them twice now but just couldn't go through with it...:oops: I really wanted to, don't have a problem with processing anything hunted or raised, just haven't done it myself.
Good thread on the subject;
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/9129500
Read through , it progresses with better tools and methods.

If you eat pork, bacon:drool, beef, hamburgers... goat, sheep, your most likely eating a castrated animal....
It's just a little more difficult with poultry and not a common practice anymore but used to be, and still is in some countries. Google capons in the US, they are for sale $50-80.
They don't crow, and I've heard can actually make the best broodies for raising chicks.

Hey folks, I posted this topic to learn about the subject, not for anyone to become a keyboard warrior. I would appreciate knowledge and experience on the act of doing this, or scientific facts why you chose not to do it. I do not deem castration as a cruel measure if it means that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that that animal will live a very long happy healthy life with me. And as I stated above, I most likely will not do this, I simply want to learn about the topic. So please refrain from insults.

and almost used them twice now but just couldn't go through with it...:oops: I really wanted to,
Harvest your COCKERELS before hormonal changes occur.
over feed em)While the meat is tender.
If anyone has money for a 500+dollar surgical bill- cool beans... I suppose. Sleep well. Chickens have more pain receptors than most may think. Culling stops the aftermath of a desperate bleeding heart can heal.

i

Back
Top Bottom