Ever wondered this about hatching eggs?

delawaregirl09

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Between that stump and you
I have hatched eggs about 5 times now, coming up on my 6th time. We always candle the eggs to see who is alive and what not, etc. BUT!!!!

Chicks do have heart beats, so I wonder what would happen if maybe the last two days or maybe on hatch day, late, you put a stethoscope on the egg and listen? Or maybe even 5 or 6 days? We should be able to hear something... right?

I have actually tried and couldn't hear anything. I use it to listen for the scratching inside the eggs though.

Thats interesting, both of ya'll. I didn't know they made a machine to detect Heart Beat.

And you tried for the scratching? Hmm. I imagine the heart beat would be so tiny we wouldnt be able to detect it anyway, but it may be worth a try!

stethoscope would work great. but i think that's expensive, not for a doctor tough.

candling is easier and cheaper i think but more way to detect is good.
smile.png

unfortunately i don't have any walmart here, even when i hear you all get hygro with $8 i get shocked since i bought mine $45 (with hard work and effort) and nothing cheaper than that here. and stethoscope is expensive in here.

Well, considering that I can hear a human fetus' heartbeat at 14 weeks gestation with a fetoscope (specialty stethoscope), when it is roughly the size of a chick, and through a thick layer of skin, muscle, fat, and other internal stuff, I'd say it's definately worth a try!

Back
Top Bottom