Ever wondered this about hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by delawaregirl09, Oct 10, 2009.

1. delawaregirl09

delawaregirl09 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have hatched eggs about 5 times now, coming up on my 6th time. We always candle the eggs to see who is alive and what not, etc. BUT!!!!

Chicks do have heart beats, so I wonder what would happen if maybe the last two days or maybe on hatch day, late, you put a stethoscope on the egg and listen? Or maybe even 5 or 6 days? We should be able to hear something... right?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

ya should. there's a mechene that you put an egg in an it tells ya if it good. It detects a hart beat.

3. drmeyes236

drmeyes236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    I have actually tried and couldn't hear anything. I use it to listen for the scratching inside the eggs though.

4. delawaregirl09

Thats interesting, both of ya'll. I didn't know they made a machine to detect Heart Beat.

And you tried for the scratching? Hmm. I imagine the heart beat would be so tiny we wouldnt be able to detect it anyway, but it may be worth a try!

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

stethoscope would work great. but i think that's expensive, not for a doctor tough.

candling is easier and cheaper i think but more way to detect is good. [​IMG]

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

7. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Rebel that is cool!

8. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

unfortunately i don't have any walmart here, even when i hear you all get hygro with $8 i get shocked since i bought mine $45 (with hard work and effort) and nothing cheaper than that here. and stethoscope is expensive in here.

9. delawaregirl09

Oh my, that IS really cool Rebel! And mulia, sorry to hear that. I have always wondered about this though, its interesting, I may get me one of them ( [​IMG] ) doo-hickies there! lol.

10. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Well, considering that I can hear a human fetus' heartbeat at 14 weeks gestation with a fetoscope (specialty stethoscope), when it is roughly the size of a chick, and through a thick layer of skin, muscle, fat, and other internal stuff, I'd say it's definately worth a try!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by