Everyone, post your best homemade chicken feed recipes!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jmofaustin, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Here's a nice link discussing the shortcomings of barley (scroll down to see).
    http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Feed_ingredients/Grains.html

I do feed barley in my feed mix (see my BYC page if interested) and they eat it happily. I am sure to keep oats and barley together less than 15% of the total feed as I read that was good (somewhere on internet).

I just today threw out a bag of BOSS that had gone moldy. I had put it in a plastic bin on the floor of the garage (big mistake) and it was a total loss.

All my other feed stays nice and fresh in galvanized trash cans on pallets in our insulated garage. No problems with mold, etc.

gophert- I have a small flock of bantams (and 2 LF) but the feed just keeps so well as described above in the cans that I don't have a problem. See my BYC page if interested for my mix.

Stonecottagefarm- sounds like a nice thing to buy in bulk!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. gophert

gophert Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks, ClayMudd. I should have mentioned that I do not have room to store food inside (small house). I could only put it in an outdoor shed. I also live in a VERY humid climate. I haven't experienced this yet, but friends of mine with small flocks have had trouble with 50-lb bags of feed going moldy before they get through them. I don't know if whole grains would store better.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:No, for it to be a whole grain will not protect from mold. You must keep them dry as well.

4. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    Quote:Know what you mean about the tomatoes. I have to be careful not to feed them too much, as they get the runs. They also love comfry leaves. I guess the minerals in the leaves are good for them. Noticed that lately they have been focusing on grass shoots. Perhaps, they "know" winter is on the way and are getting as much green stuff as possible? Besides a high protein layer mash, I feed treats twice a day AM and PM. Treats are left over veggie and fruit scraps, meal worms, sweet corn, brown rice (cooked), split peas (soaked in hot water to soften), egg shell pieces, udon noodles (softened) and whole oats. Not necessarily all of this at one time, the mix varies.

If you have other suggestions, I would love to try that out. We don't have crickets available, darn. We do have tiny land snails, their shells are pretty easy to crunch.

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    what a great thread! I just sat and read through the entire thing. I have been toying with the idea of mixing my own feed as I too suspect that the large amounts of corn in comercial feeds alone makes it worth mixing my own...alas, I do not yet have the space to keep differing grains and seeds...thank you all for sharing your vast knowledge with us!

6. NanaRose

NanaRose Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    South Alabama
    Can anyone tell me where to get powdered brewer's yeast, and ground or powdered oyster shell or aragonite for calcium? Thanks.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    For calcium, you can get Calcium Carbonate at any feed mill along with the Brewer's Yeast.

Note - Feed Stores like TSC wont have it you have to go to a feed mill.

Chris

8. NanaRose

Nov 12, 2011
    South Alabama
    Thanks so much. I'll look around my area.

9. NanaRose

Nov 12, 2011
    South Alabama
    We are down in your area-- south Alabama-- and I'm planning to do the same, but I do worry about the mold. What is DE, where to I get it, and how do I use it? Thanks

10. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Howdy, neighbor!

DE is diatomaceous earth:

http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?search=diatomaceous+earth

I mix about a half cup of it into a 5 gallon bucket of grain, and it seems to keep the weevils from reproducing. Opinions vary on how effective it is, but I notice a difference. Nothing like opneing a bag of weevil-infested corn...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by