Everything you need to know about ducks

HooverHenHouse

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Michigan
I just came home with a rueon duckling (sp?) from our feed store, was a very spontaneous move, but I couldn't resist the cuteness.
I had two ducks when I was younger, all I can remember is the female was sweet, and the male bit ankles and chased cars. So can anyone help me with everything I need to know about this little duck!

This is a few things I think I know
1)There is a food my chickens can eat, and duck
2)Females do the quacking-Males make a deeper sound

That's it...and I'm not sure if thats even correct, LOL! Help =)

Well, while I look up a few links for you,

food and water, 24/7, no food without water

keep them warm and safe (over-enthusiastic kids, or dogs, or cats, or things that fall, or people feet . . . )

They are waterfowl, do not blame them for splashing and dribbling.

They neeeeeeeeed the company of other ducks, could you become inspired to go get a buddy? They can still be your darlings. I have eleven, and I get plenty of hugs and sweetness, they just don't get as anxious when I am not around because they have a flock.

Watch the bedding. Some little nut balls, like mine, eat shavings or sawdust pellets.

Ducklings need 3 times the niacin chicks do, so if you are feeding chick crumbles, get brewer´s yeast or niacin capsules (not no-flush, just regular, 100 mg to 150 mg per gallon for 10 weeks).

Okay, I plan to be right back.

Take a look at this

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/647999/tips-for-the-new-duck-owner

and this

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641902/created-a-water-saver-for-my-duck-brooder

oh, and this

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/356725/duckie-first-aid-kit-supplies-and-ideas

Last edited:
I have poly-vi-sol vitamin drops that I put in the chicks water, but cleaned that out until I see if it's safe for the little duckling (who needs a name)
I bought the Manna Pro Gamebird crumbles-24% protein, non medicated.

the more splashing, the better! I have a feeling this is going to be one spoiled duck, thats actually the reason I only got one.

I'll talk to hubby about getting another duckling tonight, after he gets over the shock of this one! Lol

I'll start reading those links you sent me now.

You don't need to put the poly vi sol (has to be withOUT iron) in the water unless they are weak or in distress. Daily water that is just water is all they need with their food.

I have the bottle here, has no iron. My chicks are two days old, had one go splay legged and thats why theres vitamins in it..but she's doing better now, should I still look for the niacin? Maybe I could put that in her water dish in her new play pen' where the chicks won't get it. After their a week old, I will probally make seperate pens for chicks and duck(s)

Make sure there is enough clean water for the duckling to stick its head in the water and clean out its nostrils. .
I concur with others about getting a buddy or two.
Make sure the duckling is warm enough - a heat lamp will help with this, particularly if you have just the one.

I have a mated pair of Rouens and they are great ducks. Good luck!

Thanks! It's under a heat lamp now, I read that they don't need as much heat as my baby bantam chicks, but figured it will be smart enough to move away from the heat when it's to hot.

question! Is there a point where I shouldn't put the duckling in water, I'm not even sure how old it is, didnt think to ask the feed store before I left...but it's small. I dont want to stick it in a tub of water and completely freak it out, or scar it for life, lol.

When the ducklings were two days old, I put them in a cake pan with about 2 inches of water in it.

A few days later, we were in the tub, with about three inches of warm (90F) water, took them about 5 minutes to wear themselves out, then back to the brooder, warm and dry, and a few of them got dried off with a washcloth because they did not start to preen right away.

Just watch them closely at all times, make sure the water is as warm as the brooder (more or less but close), and keep them from getting chilled afterwards. It is a blast to see them!

Why are you making separate pens for chicks and duck? I raised mine together (as have many others on this site) and had no problems, in fact they were best buddies! I recently separated them because of mating season, but you would not have to get another duck if you did this.

Back
Top Bottom