Evil ducklings! Poor lonely baby....

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
So I have 3 day old baby duckings and one shetland goose with them (just got from Holderreads Wed. ) Meanwhile My Tufted Buff goose hatched one live baby, and I took it inside to save. He smelled terrible and I had to wash him off. there were other eggs , maybe exploders, flies and mice around and one other tried to hatch, but the other goose was either trying to steal it or something. It didn't' make it. I wasn't going to let them keep the babies anyway to raise.
So today he is eating and drinking and seems to be ok. So I decide to try and introduce him in the brooder with the new ducklings nand goose. They are the same age and size. His head still had glueie stinky stuff on it so I washed it: with warm water. Now they went after his head , trying to peck at it. So I don't know if it was because it was wet and funny looking or if it's because he is new or what. After 10 or minutes of me shewing off the peckers. I decided to take him out and let his head dry and try later when they are sleeping or something.

Yes, waterfowl love to peck and nibble at new things. They should eventually accept and ignore the differences of the new gosling. The new gosling should do okay -- unless it is too weak or such. I've put ducklings and goslings together that come from staggered hatches.

Thanks. I may give the gosling another day in his mini-brooder. He is still a bit wobbly on his feet.He is bigger than the ducks ,and there is a small shetland goose in the group. I recleaned his head to get the rest of the leftover stinky stuff off. Plus I am not sure it wouldn't be full of bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom