Evil neighbor! Need to find the flock a new home. PICS Added

gardenergirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 27, 2009
Chicagoland
Any ideas on how to fnd a loving home for 4 little chickens and their custom little coop?

I live in Naperville, Il (where it IS legal to have chickens!) I have 4 bantams (2 hens and 2 roosters) in a suburban neighborhood. All but 1 of my neighbors love the chickens. I had no clue that the rooster noise was bothering them until I got a notice from Animal Control last week. The Animal Control officer was very nice and encouraged me to talk to the neighbors. I did not know which neighbor had complained, so I wrote my name and phone # on some cards and went to ask them to call if they had issues with the chicken noise.

Anyway, when I got to the backyard neighbor (our yards are separated by a 6 ft. privacy fence) she said she had only called to see "what the law was." I am sure she was very disappointed to learn that my chickens (even roosters) are legal. They only crow in the morning and a few times when the hens go in to lay. She says it is all day, non-stop. Totally not true! I was very nice, apologized and said my husband and I would do our best to add some soundproofing to the coop, etc

Well, today I was out in the yard gardening when the roosters crowed a few times. The neighbors husband started yelling at me, "What are you going to do about that?!!! They crow all the time and it is very inconsiderate, blah, blah, blah!" I was stunned. I had never had a conversation with him about the noise so I think the yelling was a bit much. I tried to talk with him, but he just wanted to know, "What are you going to do about it?!!!

So, that was about 10:30am and my rooster did not crow again all day. There were a few alarm call noises, but no crowing.

I am so sad that this one jerk has decided that my 4 little chickens are ruining the neighborhood. We are constantly on edge, worrying about any noise, I can't even enjoy my backyard. We really feel like we need to find a new home for our 4 very spoiled pets. They are really tame and both hens have gone broody and are good setters and layers.

Sorry to ramble, but I am so mad! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If the roo is the problem why not just keep only hens. Then at least you can still have chickens without (hopefully) any problems with the neighbors. Then you can eat the eggs, since they aren't fertile anyway, and if a hen goes broody just buy some to stick under her.

If it's legal why do you have to rehome? Maybe you could just rehome the roos if it is a noise complaint. Listing them on here for sale or Craigslist or Ebay Classifieds would be a good start to finding someone to take them.

Last edited:
I'd tell them to go fall in a ditch personally. You shouldn't have to give up what you legally own because someone's acting like a nine-year-old. I'd keep them, but keep them padlocked. Or you could do what I'd do... Get a long-crower lol. But in all seiousness, if you enjoy the chickens but feel you need to get rid of some, get rid of the rooster and keep the hens, just see how that goes.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I know it is a difficult decision, but you may consider rehoming the roos. If the Roos are legal though, you can decide to stick it out and tell the neighbor just where he can put his complaints. I'd worry about the safety of my birds if he has close access (over a fence).

Good Luck
thumbsup.gif

pop.gif

Well, how much do you love them? If it is legal I say keep your chickens! People have barking dogs all the time, and though it may cause some issues with neighbors they don't just rehome them, nor should anyone expect you too! If having the issues between you and the neighbors IS a really big problem for you (and I know it can be in a lot of situations) than find a home for your rooster and let them know you are doing it for them, NOT because you have too... Bummer.

Why on earth do you feel you need to find your flock a new home?? If you had a dog the neighbors were complaining about I bet you wouldn't get rid of it right away. Check and see what you can do re soundproofing but if keeping the peace is important (I think it would be to me just because I would be nervous every time he crowed) at least keep the hens! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom