Evil neighbor! Need to find the flock a new home. PICS Added

If this were me and I was legal, when asked what I was gonna do about it I'd yell back " I am buying all the unwanted roosters on craislist
big_smile.png
Hens can be louder then the roos when they get to screaming the egg song, sounds to me like if you got rid of your roos he'd find a problem with the hens. DO NOT give in to that Jerk! I feel for ya I walk on eggshells everyday being in a suburban neighborhood with free range chickens and a total of 5 roosters as well as being illegal. Fortunately the only ones who have a problem with my birds also have a problem with domestic disputes and drugs, the coppers are there at least a few times a week. Everyone else just absolutely loves them. Stand your ground as you have every right to.

Last edited:
I don't have much of an update. I spoke with Animal Control again and they treat rooster crowing just the same as dog barking. It is all about frequency, duration and time of day. They told me again I do not have to get rid of any of my chickens unless "the judge tells me I have to." They also do not just take the word of 1 unreasonabe neighbor. If needed they will canvas the neighborhood and try to see if anyone else is bothered. I know for sure that 6 of my neighbors love my chickens.

So, I am now in a wait and see mode. We have added some soundproofing to the coop and maybe that will help.

Here are a few pictures of my flock.

Thanks again for your comments and interest. This is such a great forum!

35418_peepsy_profile.jpg

35418_picture_002.jpg

35418_the_gang.jpg

gardengirl-OMG what a beautiful flock of birds! The roos are just so handsome. They just seem so regal and alert. I am illegal and I recently had to rehome my 3 month old Sultan roo. We have a new ACO and he can be quite a pill since he is all gung-ho! I rehomed him yesterday and I look at his pic on my Blackberry like every 5 minutes. I miss him. I have 4 girls left...a small flock.
I wish I were legal! And honestly, you are sooooo in the right. You will miss your roo if you rehome him. You only have 4 birds. I know you must be attached to them like they were dogs. Be strong. You will win in the end.

kickinchicken - So sorry you had to get rid of your roo. I do think of my chickens as pets. They are spoiled rotten and run when they see me come outside. They like to come into the kitchen for treats and are so happy free ranging in the yard. I just can't imagine giving them away.

So sorry you are having problems.I am so glad We live rual now.I had roo's that crowed at all hours of the night and day.I hear Maximus my pet 5 month OEBG every morn now around 5:30 -6Am.He is the first one out of the horse stall window and on the fence.I think something's wrong if I don't hear my different crow's from all my Roo's. I don't know why some people are so silly about small stuff.I had a neighbor once in mobile home park.We had 2 little dog's then.Our lawn mower broke and He said well he would mow for Us (which would have taken about 10 minute's) but the doggie poo's got on his lawn mower wheel's. What THE!
barnie.gif
. Suggest a nice quite townhome to your neighbor lol. Sound's like some my old neighbor's, hated cats, dog's squirrels, kid's, kid's with bike's and kid's will a ball of ANY size.Hope you can keep your Roo's they sure are handsome, keep Us updated.

I just wanted to chime in about your situation. I wound up with a rooster last year when we picked up our day old chicks. He lived with us for a year before I finally rehomed him. We became fond of him and really enjoyed watching him strut across the yard with the hens. I have many neighbors who live close to my house. None complained except for one. She called and left nasty messages often. I never complained about her dog barking in the middle of the night waking me or anything. Her calls and remarks were driving me up the wall. I let her know that he is our pet and I was keeping my eyes open for a good home for him if he becomes a problem to us. I told her the crowing didn't bother me but if he becomes aggressive he'd have to go. Eventually, he did become too aggressive and was chasing my son and pulling all the feathers out of my hens' heads so I did start looking for a home for him. Luckily I found someone to take him who will be using him for breeding purposes. I've learned my lesson and will not keep a rooster where I'm living, but I am looking for a new house/property and if I find the right one then we'd probably keep one. Good luck!

Good point mrbstephens- It's probably a good idea to be on the lookout for a place to home at least 1 of your roos. Two hens for two roos is not a good ratio (or you could get more hens assuming you are allowed).

This post is most interesting to me today.. My "hen" just crowed this morning for the first time!!! I just started laughing out loud, and I was so excited. Also a little sad. We are not allowed roosters in our suburb. We are going to give it a try, tho. We are hoping the neighbors enjoy it like I know we will. Our girl is a boy....Woodstock! We had a dog that barked incessantly at one side neighbor and he complained many times. Our police officer friend said we didn't have a leg to stand on. Disturbing the peace.... We tried so hard to compromise with this neighbor and keep our dog inside more often. Nothing could make him happy
hmm.png
I'm thinking we will have a problem with him when Woodstock starts crowing a lot. Keep your hens!!! They can't be very loud...Good Luck to you. And to me!

Quote:
cute flock how many chickens are you allowed if it was me I would get a few more hens for those roosters they will be happier with more hens I think it is 1 rooster for every 10 hens so when they hit that teenage mode it can get hard for the girls I live in town and have 14 hens and 1 rooster and I love them all. keep your chickens and fight the good fight don't ever let a bully win....

Mrs.Stevens, you should have complained about the dog barking - then you both would compromise. If the roo had to go so did the dog!

Back
Top Bottom