Ex batts

Carlyle37

Hatching
Feb 10, 2017
London, UK
Hi, I've had my 2 ex batts for 4 months now and they've recovered their feathers and are laying regularly. 2 days ago, one of them was just standing hunched and not being her usual bossy self. since she had been laying soft shell eggs for 2 days prior to this. I brought her in and gave her a warm bath and some mash and yoghurt. She perked up so I left her isolated in her crate outside so the 2 hen's can be together. She was totally fine yesterday so I left them to it. I gave her half a crushed up calcium tablet in yoghurt in case she's low on calcium. This morning she was slow to come out of her house and stood in her hunched position again. No egg from her either and her poop (I assume it's hers) was watery and white. I brought her in again and have her in her crate with mash and water but she's not showing much interest in either. She will still eat mealworms though. Her breathing sounds fine, occasional I hear a little whistle. She was wormed in January. I examined her this morning and her abdomen feels normal (I can't feel any hardness) and her crop is mostly empty with a bit of fluid (water? She drank this morning). She passed some little hard black stools in the crate too. What do you think is wrong with her? She's now stood in her crate, closing her eyes every now and then.

welcome-byc.gif

I hope the good members on the ER forum can help you figure out what's going on with your girl.

Best of luck to you!

Hi thanks, I posted on the other thread. She's passed a soft shell egg and perked right up immediately - hope the worst is over!

Difficult to get her to a chicken vet as we have no car. There is a local vet we can take her to as a last resort though.

G’Day from down under Carlyle37
frow.gif
Welcome!

When I was reading your first post my initial thoughts were that she was having trouble laying a soft shelled egg and your follow up post confirmed that.

I have a hen who lays soft shells when she is moulting and always has a little trouble and is uncomfortable. Because the shell is soft and pliable, their muscles have nothing to grip and push out so expelling the soft shell is much more difficult and draining on them. I find that my gal usually deposits them overnight on the roost when she is relaxed. A luke warm, relaxing bath can also help sometimes.

As I mentioned, she only lays the occasional soft shell when moulting and otherwise, her shells are fine. If your girl continues to lay soft shells, this could be a cause for concern and she may have trouble absorbing calcium. I note on your other thread that you mention you have oyster shell available for them. I also note you mention that you give them ACV [I also add ACV to my gals water].

What is you climate like at the moment? ACV is contraindicated in hot weather as it can cause the calcium to be less digestible. Calcium is a positive ion and dissociates better in a more alkaline environment. Even if your weather is not hot at the moment, if she is a chicken who has calcium absorption issues, ACV could be adding to her issue.

[Just my thoughts]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom