Excellent Chicken Vet Alert- Richmond, VA area

CheepSunglasses

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
We have a month-old chick with a foot infection that was not responding to tetracycline, so we decided to try to find an avian vet who would treat chickens. We were very fortunate in finding Richard L Kitterman, DVM at: Oxbridge Veterinary Clinic in Midlothian. Dr. Kitterman worked us in on extremely short notice (though we were not already clients), gently and thoroughly examined our bird, asked good questions and gave us a ton of good advice. We left with a new antibiotic, a pain medication and a new veterinarian (and a reasonable bill!). If you are fortunate enough to live in the area, you may want to file this information away. He treats a lot of pet chickens and has a high regard for them. The clinic is located at:

10005 Hull St Rd
Richmond, Virginia 23236-1408
804 745 4243

Thank you so much for posting this. I needed a vet for one of my little chicks and this office is fairly close to my house. Thank you, thank you!

Thank you for this thread! I googled "Chicken Vet Richmond VA" and this was the first link to pop up! And many thanks to those who updated it.

Like everyone else, I'm looking to bring a baby chick by a vet for cheap advice (I don't want the chick to die of something silly, but I don't want to spend $$$ on a baby chick...). I live downtown.

I see this thread recommends Brandermill Vet for Chickens.

Has anyone taken their chicken to Carytown Vet or Lakeside? Both offer chicken care according to their website, but I haven't seen in reviews regarding chickens.

Thank you!

This is an old thread but would just like to add to/update it in the event it pops up in someone's search. It did pop up on my search a few weeks ago.

I saw two vets here in Richmond for my sick chicken: Dr. Dalgrehn at Cary Street Vet and Dr. Cline at Bon Air animal hospital.

Dr. Dalgregn was very nice, attentive and seemed to very much want to help my chicken. However, I'm not sure I felt she was completely confident in experience with chickens and I left feeling like it was a little bit of a pointless visit. Could've partly been my chicken is just sick and we aren't sure what's going on. However, if she was my only option for a chicken vet I would be ok with this. She absolutely seemed to care at the least.
Dr. Cline at Bon Air was amazing and went above and beyond. She owns chickens herself and really came up with a plan for my chicken (who is a dear pet for me obviously). She surgically cleared her crop as well as did other testing that has helped her. While my chicken is not out of the woods, I feel she has helped her as much as a vet can. I highly recommend Dr. Cline.

Brandermill Vet no longer sees chickens, I can verify this.

Hi,

I took my chicken with an injured leg to Lakeside last week and I was kind of dissatisfied to say the least. The vet I saw asked me questions about chickens that I was positive a vet should already know and seemed very unsure of what she was doing. She asked me things like, is 19 weeks old enough to lay an egg? I guess I should take a look at her skin? I guess I should take a look at her vent? She couldn’t give me an answer on whether the leg could be broken or dislocated and it was $84 for just the visit and the X-ray she recommended but in the same breath told me may not help at all was going to be upwards of $200 all in all with the anti-inflammatories the bill would be $364. She basically moved my chickens legs back and forth and pushed on them, which I already did and said she couldn’t figure it out.

I’m currently trying to look for other vets in the area who may be more experienced. She and her staff were extremely nice by the way though and I’d recommend them for any animal other than chickens. She has about 30 years experience as a vet but I’m not sure with what animals.

Thank you for this thread! I googled "Chicken Vet Richmond VA" and this was the first link to pop up! And many thanks to those who updated it.

Like everyone else, I'm looking to bring a baby chick by a vet for cheap advice (I don't want the chick to die of something silly, but I don't want to spend $$$ on a baby chick...). I live downtown.

I see this thread recommends Brandermill Vet for Chickens.

Has anyone taken their chicken to Carytown Vet or Lakeside? Both offer chicken care according to their website, but I haven't seen in reviews regarding chickens.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom