about to preform bumblefoot surgery---any tips befor doing so?

Every day until it's healed, otherwise the wound will fester and become infected. :)
I don't want to confuse the OP, but I was advised to change only every 3 days assuming the wound and dressing are nicely wrapped and kept clean. That's why I cover the vetwrap with a duct tape boot.

If I couldn't keep it clean then I'd do it daily.

What is your thinking behind a daily clean and redressing?

I don't want to confuse the OP, but I was advised to change only every 3 days assuming the wound and dressing are nicely wrapped and kept clean. That's why I cover the vetwrap with a duct tape boot.

If I couldn't keep it clean then I'd do it daily.

What is your thinking behind a daily clean and redressing?
I'm glad you asked! Wounds, especially infected ones, can fester and become very severe in very little time. Leaving dressings on for more than 24 hours will cause moisture to seep in, which makes it a breeding ground for bacteria, especially taking into consideration how much bacteria chickens are exposed to on a regular basis. It also provides brief relief for the animal -- imagine wearing a soggy sock for 3 days!

Daily re-dressings make sure that you're checking the wound every day for any signs of the condition worsening, and it lowers the chance of infection setting into the wound or spreading. :)

Back
Top Bottom