Excessive thirst, swollen crop! 🆘help

Zahid Ahmad

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2020
Hen is not looking fine since yesterday. She is not eating anything except lots of water, not pooping so much and just today when she tried to run while escaping other chicken her left leg started trembling and she wasn't able to run properly. She stays in corner and erect, her comb is lil dark.. She was laying eggs couple to of days before and btw she is almost 8 months old. I have kept her idle and given some anti biotic. Please suggest some treatment.

I cant say I know what the problem is. :( It can be something stuck in the digestive track, or even egg bound. :idunno.. I have read of people giving their hen a warm water bath, and massaging gently the crop, and soft portion of hens lower behind.
Lets see what others suggest as treatment.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

I cant say I know what the problem is. :( It can be something stuck in the digestive track, or even egg bound. :idunno.. I have read of people giving their hen a warm water bath, and massaging gently the crop, and soft portion of hens lower behind.
Lets see what others suggest as treatment.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome
Thanks

Hello Zahid Ahmad.
Welcome to BYC.
Firstly, there is no point in giving your hen antibiotics unless she has some kind of infection; they will just make her feel worse than she already does and kill off all the good stuff that may help her recover.
Can you upload some good clear pictures of your hen and a couple of her poop?
As a start, check your hen over for any mites of lice. Check her vent in particular for lice and at the back of her neck and under her wings for mites.
The next thing is to make sure her crop is functioning correctly. Her crop is that bulge on the left side of her chest, as you look at the front of the hen.
In the morning that bump (her crop) should be empty and it will look flat compared to a hen at roost time in the evening who should have a full crop.
Next you could check her to make sure she is not egg bound. This is when an egg gets made but she is unable to lay it. You can do this by thoroughly cleaning your hands and after apply some oil to the outside of her vent and to your forefinger, carefully inserting your forefinger into the hens vent up to your first knuckle. If there is an egg stuck there you will be able to feel it with your finger.

This morning I saw her crop was lil bulged and after I touched it I found it hard.. Suggest some remedies please

It sounds like an impacted crop. Water and crop massage are helpful. Stop feeding any whole grains, and offer only mushy watery food, egg, yogurt. If you have coconut oil, olive, or mineral oil, you may give a spoonful of either one to stimulate the digestive system to move the blockage through. Since I am not an expert on crop problems, I will post these two good article s about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

Back
Top Bottom