Excited for our First Incubation

MPchicks

Songster
Aug 21, 2019
Central Utah @ 6000 ft elevation
We are incubating our first group of eggs. We started 2 cochin eggs a week ago and then added 3 more cochin eggs and 8 Light Sussex eggs. We candled our first 2 eggs yesturday and we were so excited to see our first baby chick. The picture isn't the greatest but all of the kids and I were so excited to see veins and a little chickie eye.
Day 7 C1.jpg

My oldest daughter (14yo) said, "We're doing it!". We are loving our chickens and I am hoping to take the little cochins up to my mother-in-law in Oregon in the spring. Feel free to share your excitement and stories about incubation and hatching here. I just wanted to share mine.

It is possible to do a staggered hatch in a single incubator, I've done it several times.
You can remove the turner when the first are due because turning is less essential after the first 2 weeks. The one problem is eggs getting dirty when chicks defecate.

I just noticed you are hatching at elevation. Have you made any adjustments for the thin atmosphere and low oxygen?

You may want to read through this link.
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/incubating-eggs-at-high-altitudes

It is possible to do a staggered hatch in a single incubator, I've done it several times.
You can remove the turner when the first are due because turning is less essential after the first 2 weeks. The one problem is eggs getting dirty when chicks defecate.

I just noticed you are hatching at elevation. Have you made any adjustments for the thin atmosphere and low oxygen?

You may want to read through this link.
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/incubating-eggs-at-high-altitudes

This is great information. I never even thought about the difference in elevation being an issue. It does make sense. I am staying on top of the humidity because it is dry in Utah. I'm not sure I can do much about the oxygen level. It does look like I may need to expect it to take a little longer.

20200101_155055.jpg
It did take up to 2 days longer for these little fluff butts to hatch. Out of the 11 eggs we had in the incubator we were able to hatch 6. 1 Cochin (out of 3 cochin eggs from our own chickens) and 5 Light sussex (out of 8 light sussex eggs we had shipped). I did have to help 1 light sussex hatch but she/he seems to be doing great and they are definitely loved.

Back
Top Bottom