Excited to get started

SkiboJeff

Songster
Oct 29, 2020
Greetings all. I'm recently retired, like to garden, and love fresh eggs. My city council, in Plymouth MN , has just completed a study session and it appears they will adopt an ordinance allowing backyard chickens this spring. I discovered your site while researching what kind of coop I should build and which type of chickens I should acquire. My home sits on 2/3 of an acre and I neighbor city owned "open space" property. I think chickens will love it here but I need to be cautious about the raccoons, foxes, possums, and other predators that also live close by. I'm thinking about an 8' x 8' coop with an 8' x 20' run; and eight hens (2 RI Red, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Plymouth Rock, and 2 Ameraucana). I'm excited to get started.

Congratulations on being able to have chickens. Three of your intended breeds -- RIR, Buff Orp and Plymouth Rock -- were three-quarters of my original quartet, so I think you've made great choices. Lovely birds and lovely eggs! Sounds like you've done your research, especially in considering potential predators.

Welcome to BYC and best wishes for all that spring will bring to you!

Greetings all. I'm recently retired, like to garden, and love fresh eggs. My city council, in Plymouth MN , has just completed a study session and it appears they will adopt an ordinance allowing backyard chickens this spring. I discovered your site while researching what kind of coop I should build and which type of chickens I should acquire. My home sits on 2/3 of an acre and I neighbor city owned "open space" property. I think chickens will love it here but I need to be cautious about the raccoons, foxes, possums, and other predators that also live close by. I'm thinking about an 8' x 8' coop with an 8' x 20' run; and eight hens (2 RI Red, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Plymouth Rock, and 2 Ameraucana). I'm excited to get started.
:welcome :welcome :welcome

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
That is a nice assortment of breeds to start with and a good sized coop and run.
I have my coop and run inside a pen enclosed with poultry netting powered with 10,000 volts. I've no problem with any number of ground predators including the local black bear.

Back
Top Bottom