Lo: 50°
Hi: 77°
Lo: 50°

Quote:
Is that your everyday casual wear PC ?
wink.png

ep.gif
ya.gif

Boxers and a tank top for me. I have very understanding neighbors- they call it my uniform. Spent the day in the backyard.

22.4° F right now, but it is still. Last few days `the hawk has been out' and I hate it. Love the winter, hate the wind. Will take 10° and no wind to 30° and 10mph wind any day.

We have a couple of inches on the ground here and it's still snowing! The kids made their first snowman of the season today so they are excited. The chickens wanted nothing to do with it !! I think I side with the chickens on this one!
barnie.gif

Sorry, but we have you all beat! Low 80ʻs daily with nightly lows of about 60.
Which leads to my question. How long do I have to heat my hover when the ambient temps are so moderate?
My ameraucanas are only a week old, but with the 250 watt heat lamp 24" off the hover floor, they seem to spread evenly in the hover. While the sun is free here, electricity is sky high. The quicker I can turn off the heat, the better.
Any ideas?

With chicks that young, you need to keep the temp at 90. Sorry, you'll spend a little bit more on electric.

I smile with those who complain of the cost of electricty.

Our August bill was $600 .... for a 2300 sq. ft. home.

Quote:
Those chicks will need consistant heat for the next 8 - 12 weeks depending on how they feather out. If this were spring or summer you would be able to begin weaning them from the daytime heat at around 6 - 8 weeks. Since we are heading in to winter you must commit yourself to brooding those chicks for a very long while. 60 at night is very chilling to their tiny bodies. They will be at the minimum 8 weeks old or older to tolerate those 60's for night time temps without heat.

If they get chilled they will sicken and die within a few days. Some might recover but many usually just can't come back from it.

20 degrees out right now and a high of 35 today. We have the wood stoves cranking when we're home and on low when out. On a good note, the kids are doing better about loading the stoves when they are home. This is our second year heating with wood stoves. Last year we had a little trouble with the kids letting the stoves burn out and we'd come home to a cold house after work.

Back
Top Bottom