Exercise?

Lady Onion

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
Hi all,

I am new to waterfowl and farm-type birds in general. After doing some research, I decided to purchase a pair of call ducks. I keep them primarily as companion pets (they allow me to stroke & handle them) as well as providers of free eggs for my dogs, who eat a raw diet. The dogs love, love, love duck eggs.

The ducks are kept in a 5ft W x 5ft L x 7ft H PVC-pipe enclosure (pictures soon) complete with a pretty little pond, grassy area, edible greens and duck-benches. Unfortunately, there isn't any other duck AND predator-proof area available (outdoors) for them to run around. I feel awful having them in a small little enclosure all day long.

My questions are:

What are the exercise needs of a call duck? I can imagine, as owner of their very-distant cousins (parrots) they would require plenty of exercise to fly, swim, play, etc.

Does any one allow their fowl to come into the home? I was seriously thinking of allowing them to play, daily, in our basement.

Sounds like you have a pretty good set up and I'm sure they're perfectly content.
Giving them some flying/play time in the basement isn't a bad idea. I let my out to play in the grass, but ONLY under supervision because of the hawks.

Back
Top Bottom