Expanded the brooder

Carlie59

Songster
Jan 14, 2020
Farmville, Va
Hey! I’ve got 10 week old black australorp chickies and they’re growing like weeds! I decided to give them a bit of an upgrade on space. So far they can all make it through the hole I cut, but some it’s a bit of a struggle. Thinking about making the hole a bit lower, but still want room for litter. What do you all think? The new side looks so empty... any ideas for interesting things for them to play with? Can’t wait to hear your ideas/feedback!

Attachments

• 9F2FF537-0857-4E20-8898-96B7AFECF130.jpeg
    9F2FF537-0857-4E20-8898-96B7AFECF130.jpeg
    441.7 KB · Views: 24
I'm ashamed to admit I was trying to puzzle out mention of "10 week old" chicks with a photo of chicks that couldn't be more than one week old. Then it dawned on me you meant ten one-week old chicks.

I used to be pretty sharp. Lately, not so much.

Chicks any older than about three days shouldn't have much problem hopping an inch or two. Their little wings grow in very fast, and they use them to achieve "lift". By age two weeks, they will be sitting on the rim of your boxes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/reasons-for-tossing-out-your-indoor-brooder-and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/ It has some photos of my earlier brooders that are similar to yours. I used to have so much fun taping boxes together to come up with some interesting chick condos.

I'm ashamed to admit I was trying to puzzle out mention of "10 week old" chicks with a photo of chicks that couldn't be more than one week old. Then it dawned on me you meant ten one-week old chicks.

Chicks any older than about three days shouldn't have much problem hopping an inch or two. Their little wings grow in very fast, and they use them to achieve "lift". By age two weeks, they will be sitting on the rim of your boxes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/reasons-for-tossing-out-your-indoor-brooder-and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/ It has some photos of my earlier brooders that are similar to yours. I used to have so much fun taping boxes together to come up with some interesting chick condos.
😂 I guess I could have thrown a comma in there or something. I probably would have had to read it a couple of times too.

It's ok, I was totally ready to advise that those 10 week olds should be outside, then I see the image and all I see are itty bitty peewee chicks and yet it still didn't finish dawning on me until I saw your post.:gig

The new side looks so empty... any ideas for interesting things for them to play with?
Throw a chunk of sod, sprinkled with chick sized granite grit, in there.
Make up a tiny roost or just toss some pieces of branch or lumber.
Agrees tho, they are gonna be flying out of there pretty soon.
Got the coop ready?

By age two weeks, they will be sitting on the rim of your boxes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/reasons-for-tossing-out-your-indoor-brooder-and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/ It has some photos of my earlier brooders that are similar to yours.
Edit out that last foreslash from your link @azygous?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @Carlie59
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
1579644385977.png

Yep coop is all ready, just working on the run. We had to bring em inside cause mice were stealing food in the garage. Today I see they are avoiding the MHP and cuddled up together on the other side. They seem happy and content, but should they still be using the MHP? It’s about 65 in the house. They are just a bit over a week old.

Attachments

• 2C450D31-0DFD-4EAE-88F1-FF52FFA0B3B2.jpeg
    2C450D31-0DFD-4EAE-88F1-FF52FFA0B3B2.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 11
They should be warming occasionally under the heating pad at a week old, but not be staying under it all the time. But be sure they can easily get under it and there's room to stand up as well as lie down while still having contact with the pad. I like a tent shape rater than flat so the chicks have this variety of choice to stand or lie down.
P1010035.JPG

Thanks! I added in my location. We are in Farmville,Va. we were having amazing temperatures and now I think too cold to put them out. We’ve got a high of 54 in a couple days. Should I take them outside for a visit?

Thanks! I added in my location. We are in Farmville,Va. we were having amazing temperatures and now I think too cold to put them out. We’ve got a high of 54 in a couple days. Should I take them outside for a visit?
And of course I worry about them and they all just went and tucked themselves in lol

As long as it's fairly warm and they are out of the wind, you could give it a try.
Judge by their behaviors if they are comfortable or not.
If you have power in your coop, you could move them and their heating pad out there full time.

And of course I worry about them and they all just went and tucked themselves in lol
Of Course!
Are you able to raise the heating pad for space as they grow?
Can you turn the heating pad to lower setting?

Back
Top Bottom