Expanding Chicken Feed.

Hello, a debate is going on...
:th
This is what I do....I do not feed layer at all...I feed Grower all year around to my Birds at 18% protein..Not organic because to me it's all hype..That's another topic though..
I supply oyster shell in a Separate bowl ...I have extremely healthy Birds and zero issues..I free range daily maximum two hours and rarely give treats...
**That's good to know! My birds have recently been gradually changing over to Layer Pellets and they HATE them! I think I will go back to the grower! Thanks for your post.

a quick google search of Quaker oat meal indicates that it is $2.38/# at Walmart. Organic scratch and peck (googled on line was $1.35/#) So... unless one has oatmeal available as a bulk food item, I can't imagine that feeding a kitchen grade of oatmeal would be financially rewarding. Yes... when you run out of feed, it could fill the gap. But certainly would not be a cost savings.

The first recipe posted by OP where they considered 1 part grit or OS as part of the feed was less than logical.

a quick google search of Quaker oat meal indicates that it is $2.38/# at Walmart. Organic scratch and peck (googled on line was $1.35/#) So... unless one has oatmeal available as a bulk food item, I can't imagine that feeding a kitchen grade of oatmeal would be financially rewarding. Yes... when you run out of feed, it could fill the gap. But certainly would not be a cost savings.

The first recipe posted by OP where they considered 1 part grit or OS as part of the feed was less than logical.
X2
One should never mix grit into a feed.

Not really a witch hunt...Its entirely up to the OP if the decide to switch things up?...I don't care?...I just hope things help?

What I mean is you should never count grit as feed..it is not. And you should never mix it with any food. You can offer it in a dish by itself and they will take what they need.

What I mean is you should never count grit as feed..it is not. And you should never mix it with any food. You can offer it in a dish by itself and they will take what they need.
That’s what I thought you meant. Thanks. I always sort of considered it like bird fiber, to aid in digestion. I only have 3 birds. So it’s not like I went nuts.

Back
Top Bottom