Expecting a hurricane

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by V Chic Chick, Mar 9, 2008.

1. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Normally we have a temperate climate - not too hot, not too cold - Goldilocks style. But tonight we're expecting winds of 70mph, gusting to 80mph, which is classed as a violent storm / hurricane. The chickens will be staying in the cellar from tonight until Tuesday morning, as the coop roof did once come off in winds somewhat less than this.

And the roof is in desperate need of repair (theoretically, we're having it reroofed later this year). I'm just glad that the new greenhouse hasn't been delivered yet.

Any advice?

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Stay Safe!!! I hope you don't get hit too bad!

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Take cover!! Better get in there with the chickens in the celler. Good Luck

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Good luck to you! Only advice is to go around the garden and put away anything that could blow around -- chairs, buckets, picnic tables, potted plants, small children. I know someone whose trampoline travelled almost half a mile in a thunderstorm. And if you see your upwind neighbors have anything like that still out, suggest they put it away, unless you *want* to acquire the object by having it shot through your kitchen window at 20 mph [​IMG]

Pat

5. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Quote:You sound like someone who is speaking from experience!

I've got the chickens in, they're going to be sharing about 1.5m squared of floorspace for the next 36 hours, but they have got some hay and grain to amuse themselves with. Luckily, there's not a lot that could move around bar the chicken coop, which can't go anywhere else TBH, and a few empty plastic plant pots which can't do any harm. Some reports are saying we might lose power as well :eek:

6. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Yikes, Your having this and im scared of tornadoes, I would be having a panick attack LOL!

7. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Winds that high can do an incredible amount of damage-stay away from windows and move to the cellar if it gets that bad. I have been in tornadoes and 1 hurricane. We had a tree go through a roof one time! Not fun! Stay safe and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by