Expecting chicks week of Oct 1?

I received 8 chicks this morning, 5 penedesencas for me and 3 splash marans for my co-worker.  One penedesenca DOA and one sluggish on arrival who died this evening.  The remainder are actively preening, eating and drinking.  Crossing my fingers that they all do OK!  

Fingers crossed!

I received my chicks this morning from mypetchicken.com out of twenty-five thirteen have now died. I have done everything I know to do to no avail. They were shipped on 10/01. Were they in transit a day too long?

Sorry to hear of such a significant loss. My order of 8 came from the same hatchery. 2 died in less than twelve hours, but the remainder are looking fine so far. I blamed shipping stress...

I received my chicks this morning from mypetchicken.com out of twenty-five thirteen have now died. I have done everything I know to do to no avail. They were shipped on 10/01. Were they in transit a day too long?
Wow, are they showing any signs of illness? pasty butts? any doa? Did they refuse to eat or drink?
Sorry to hear of such a significant loss. My order of 8 came from the same hatchery. 2 died in less than twelve hours, but the remainder are looking fine so far. I blamed shipping stress...
I am so sorry for you both, that sounds horrible....What breeds did you order? Did you both get them on Friday? I was told mine should be here on wednesday or thursday...four days in shipping sounds like forever for chicks without water or food. I hope the rest of your flocks survive and once again sorry for your loss.

Oh, no! That is a long time. MPC has Meyer dropship chicks for them, apparently, and my chicks were also shipped Oct 1. Poor babies! Have you called MPC yet?

I had prepped the brooder before I left for the post office . I had my car warmed up too. Upon opening the box at the post office four were already dead. I got them home checked each one for pasty butt and dunked their beaks in water and sprinkeld some feed on the floor so they could locate it. The floor of the brooder is covered in paper towels by the way. In the first 12 hours the death toll was twelve and now it is sixteen. I have done all I know to do. One minute they are up and running around eating and drinking and they next time I check one or two will be laying there on their sides dead. I have never had this happen before. I called mpc and I guess they will send me more but I don't think I could stand going through this sort of thing again. I had never gotten chicks from them before. I had bought 100 chicks from Meyer's one died in transit and the rest survived to adulthood.

Back
Top Bottom