Expecting up to 18" of snow...

We've had a total of about 5 feet of snow since Christmas. I don't know where we're going to put any more. My DH makes sure I can get to the coop, but it's getting pretty silly with all the snow out there. The run is partially covered, but there's 3 feet of snow on the far end that I haven't been able to clear. My girls really don't like it so I've put some hay out for them to walk on. Fortunately, my coop is raised so they can go under it where there's no snow. The only time I keep them in the coop is if there's a blizzard with high winds. It's snowing some right now and the girls are out under the coop scratching around in the hay. Even the 2 that are in hard molt have been coming out - and it's been in the low teens to mid twenties around here. We're due to get snow/sleet/freezing rain out of this storm so I put some food and water in the coop (I usually keep it outside) in case they want to go in. But, I'll keep the pop door open for them unless it gets really bad. They're hearty little souls and I like to give them the choice. Of course, since they are also pampered darlings, they'll also get a nice warm mash late this afternoon and some scratch to keep their gizzards full for the night. Now, if only they'd start laying some eggs for me again
hu.gif
Good luck to everyone else that has to weather out these storms.

I leave the pop door open for my girls too. They stick their heads out and run up the path I've shoveled from the coop to the house and go directly under the deck. So tired of frozen water and shoveling snow. One good thing, I've been getting eggs all winter.
thumbsup.gif

Prayers to you all for a safe outcome to this storm. It looks positively awful!!!!
I feel almost guilty for the weather they have predicted for us tomorrow...high of 71 with showers and gusty wind.
sad.png

I wish we could split the difference with you and we could all just have a really cold rain.

I'm afraid I just wish we'd get 18" of snow....instead we're in the middle of the state so we're getting all the rain that's freezing as it hits the ground. Just praying we don't lose power...lights flickered a few times and folks in town have already lost theirs..... Couldn't even open the horsebarn door this morning, and had to hack ice away from the runs just to put their not-frozen water in for the day. Kids are happy, no school tomorrow, again--bummer is no more snow days now (thanks ex-governor Strickland who reduced the usual 5 days down to 3 this year) so unless spring comes soon kids will be going to school later into June. I like snow, ice is a different animal.
Oh yeah, our hens discovered they don't like ice either--kind of funny though, our SLW, Lucky, thought she was smart, flying from the coop to the head of lettuce I'd tossed in their run...she didn't realize there was ice, she landed and and slid right past the lettuce, squawking all the way...OK, we did laugh, I confess:)

Back
Top Bottom