Expensive Apples

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Oregon Blues, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Honey Crisp apples are $2.50 a pound in the store. That's a very good reason to plant a honey crisp apple tree for your family.

2. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Mmmm....those are my favorite. I have 3 Honeycrisp and 3 Candycrisp trees in my yard. Yum.

3. TexasLisa

TexasLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    I love Honeycrisp apples. I wanted to grow them but found out they do best up NORTH!! I paid $2.99 a lb. for mine this week. :(

Lisa :)

4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

We're in Missouri - would one even do well here with this weird weather?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  5. TexasLisa

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hi CluckyCharms!

Honeycrisp apples originated in Minnesota. It needs at least 800 chill hours. From what I could find online, Missouri has several Honeycrisp Orchards. Here is the link:

http://www.orangepippin.com/varietiesorchardsmap.aspx?varietyid=1123&areaid=1024

You will have better luck than me in growing them. I am in Zone 8!! :(

6. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi :) Wow...nice. thank you very much for the information. We may just have to invest in one! I googled, looking to see what they tasted like...hubby and I are picky when it comes to apples. We like golden apples and green apples, but aren't keen on red delicious or other 'red' variety apples. I see honeycrisp apples are red - do they taste like red delicious?

7. TexasLisa

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hi! You and your husband sound like us!! We like Granny Smith and Fuji apples. I saw Honeycrisp at the store one day and thought 'hmmmmmm'. I pay more for them but they are sure good! They are better than Red Delicious. It is a crisp sweet/tart apple. I really hope you will be able to grow these.

8. smilingcat

smilingcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Geez. $2.50 a pound?? Paid 99 cents a pound... Then again, I live near Hood River where there are lots of orchards.

Better tasting than red delicious. Crispy like Granny Smith and Fuji. yummo.

9. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I feel your pain Lisa. Its very hard to grow apples of any variety here. You get a few in the beginning of store bought trees. Then its all downhill. I will have to try the honeycrisp if I can find them here. I love the granny smiths.

10. TexasLisa

Jan 27, 2012
    Rosenberg, TX
    Hi Destinduck! Did you get hit by Hurricane Sandy? I hope you are okay!

According to the 'Master Gardners of FT. Bend County, we can grow Anna, Dorsett Golden, and Einshemer apples. (I haven't heard of these varieties) I guess I will look for them and see what I can do. The Golden and Einshemer only need 100 chill hours and Anna needs 200. I tried avocados last year and blew that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by