Experience w Broomstick or C. Dislocation?

Maeschak

Songster
Mar 29, 2016
Maryland, USA
Hello-

I have a bunch (8 or so) 13 week old DP cockerels I will be butchering for the grill next Sunday. They are so small (I usually butcher around 18-24 weeks) that I thought this might be a good time to learn the broomstick or dislocation (by hand) methods of killing. I really like the idea of being able to dispatch birds without needing a razor sharp knife (I'm also not the best at finding the jugular). Anyone else use either of the above methods? Can anyone give me some pros and cons?

After the young ones, I'll have several old layers to cull. If I really like the broomstick or dislocation by hand methods w the small birds I may use that method on the larger birds.

Any tips appreciated!

Hello-

I have a bunch (8 or so) 13 week old DP cockerels I will be butchering for the grill next Sunday. They are so small (I usually butcher around 18-24 weeks) that I thought this might be a good time to learn the broomstick or dislocation (by hand) methods of killing. I really like the idea of being able to dispatch birds without needing a razor sharp knife (I'm also not the best at finding the jugular). Anyone else use either of the above methods? Can anyone give me some pros and cons?

After the young ones, I'll have several old layers to cull. If I really like the broomstick or dislocation by hand methods w the small birds I may use that method on the larger birds.

Any tips appreciated!
The main issue is that CD doesn't make the bird bleed out, unless you continued pulling and took off the head, maybe. I use CD (by hand) for euthanasia of ill birds and it works very well, especially on young birds. Older ones are a bit tougher but it's still a viable method for them.

I have always done the broomstick method. It's instantaneous and if you take the head off the bird in the process, well, you know it's dead.

Tips learned the hard way: make sure you're on a firm dry surface so your feet don't slip. Make sure the surface is level ( just find a patch of dry level ground). Put all of your weight on your feet and pull HARD. This is the ONLY way I feel comfortable doing chickens and ducks.
Zero "cons" for this. Big "pro": there is NO setup required, just grab an old tool handle. Biggest "pro": HUMANE. I can take a sleeping chicken off a roost and kill it before it has a clue what's going on.

Hello-

Any tips appreciated!
Husband telling me what to type... He is poking me..
He uses a tall Traffic cone with the hole tip adjusted to size of bird's neck. Tie a twine under the bird's neck and pull the other end thru the cone after laying it on it's side above a 30 gallon trash can. Pull the meat bird thru the cone tip gently with the lasso twine.
Remove the head at neck level and gently turn the cone tip top upside down. A couple of cut 2x4's hold the cone and allows it to drain.
A fan circulation for flies is a must. Better after sundown in peak fly season.
Let the meat rest before cooking.
Broomstick can bruise the meat.. And the cone keeps the body from becoming bruised.

Back
Top Bottom