experience with brahma's and orpington's in heat/humidity

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
Brahma's were at the top of my list for breeds I wanted to consider. Now they are still there with Orpington's.
We live in southern/coastal Alabama. Hot sticky summers.

I've been told brahama's aren't a good breed for us to consider - hard to keep clean and summer sucks for them.

They'd be free ranging with the 5 ducks in the back yard. I'd have a total of 3 chickens... thinking 2 orpingtons and 1 brahma if the brahma will do ok with the summers here.
It rains. The yard stays soggy for a bit and then puddles are gone. Lots of trees/shrubs to be under to get out of the rain or things to hide under.

What has been your experience with brahma's in hot/humid weather? Should I cross them off the list for good?

Anybody? Most concerned about Brahma's and was hoping to see/hear experience from others that have done it.

I've had Orps but not Brahmas, though I'm a huge fan of feather footed breeds. My Orps also didn't like the heat, but plenty of shade and some shallow water pans with frozen water bottles helped them thru. Frozen melons help as well. My feather footed cuties (Silkies and Cochins) keep themselves clean even though they step in poo and scratch in the mud, and I've got quite a bit of red clay in my yard.
Nikki

I used to live in central FL, moved in June 2012. I had an Orpington, Barred Rock, Leghorn, silkie and EE. They all did okay with the heat and humidity. They'd seek out the shade during the heat of the day and would dig themselves little dust bath holes close to the house where they'd stay. I haven't had Brahmas. Check the AL thread and see if anyone near you has them and how they do. I'd try to find some locally instead of ordering. They will be more tolerant of the environment if they are from there.

Thanks all -
We have a source for either day olds locally for the orpingtons and several other breeds and possibly brahma's as well. And the offer to hatch some out for us and raise them until we are ready to get them as older birds. Though I think we may either hatch some ourselves as a school project again or have that friend do the hatching and hope he can tell me which are male and female. He'll take the males back and I'm ok with it, but I know they will be dinner and I'm fine with that in theory, not sure how well in practice after I've raised the buggers LOL

For those that don't like the feather leg breeds - can I ask what your reasoning is?
I want to make my breed selection with my eyes wide open. I've been told they are hard to keep clean, but not sure if that is due at all to how they are kept or not... ours will be free ranged in the large back yard, cooped up at night.

Back
Top Bottom