Experimental Dehydrator Hatching - I'm doing it!

Update June 8: At 7 am I woke up to two hatched chicks! Looks like No 11 in the back and one that hadn't pipped at all by the time I went to bed last night. No 4 who is has broken through the side is still alive but hasn't made any more progress. I think I'll try helping her out when I get back at 9:00. The chicks aren't fully dry yet. I'll post photos later. The other eggs that were pipping don't look like they did anything more either.

Update June 8: At 7 am I woke up to two hatched chicks! Looks like No 11 in the back and one that hadn't pipped at all by the time I went to bed last night. No 4 who is has broken through the side is still alive but hasn't made any more progress. I think I'll try helping her out when I get back at 9:00. The chicks aren't fully dry yet. I'll post photos later. The other eggs that were pipping don't look like they did anything more either.
Good call on helping the baby that's taking longer đź’—

Congrats!
Is the plastic still over the box insert?

June 8 2pm Egg #2 is third to hatch about 12:30 this afternoon. She was pipping last night.
(No 4 is still alive in shell but not hatching. I scaled the shell away from the pip site but didn't open the membrane. When she's ready to hatch she shouldn't have any trouble on her own.
Here is #2 out and temporarily stuck on her back:

June 8 2pm Egg #2 is third to hatch about 12:30 this afternoon. She was pipping last night.
(No 4 is still alive in shell but not hatching. I scaled the shell away from the pip site but didn't open the membrane. When she's ready to hatch she shouldn't have any trouble on her own.
Here is #2 out and temporarily stuck on her back:
For the one that isn't hatching, use a q tip to put coconut oil on the membrane, then wet the membrane... If you don't see red veins you can pull the membrane away. I've seen chicks where their leg was over their head and they couldn't push out of the egg.đź’—

For the one that isn't hatching, use a q tip to put coconut oil on the membrane, then wet the membrane... If you don't see red veins you can pull the membrane away. I've seen chicks where their leg was over their head and they couldn't push out of the egg.đź’—
I might end up trying that. Coconut oil is something I have, and qtips. Thank you!

I might be concerned that they are not getting enough oxygen.
I have both O2 lines pumping in on full now, and the activated carbon carpeting the floor under the mat. Had two more hatch a short while ago and had to clear out the shells it was getting crowded. They're rambunctious and chirping. If they were groggy I would worry. I'm watching carefully, this was all on some experience and lots of hunch.

Back
Top Bottom