Experimenting with a few meat birds as pets

So we got Corid today, I plan to start treatment tomorrow. Today I spent time with Doodle, and she actually seemed pretty normal. Wasn't puffed up as far as i could tell, I still plan to treat them, but am wondering what you guys think. I have seen no odd droppings, and I was able to inspect two of Doodles droppings today, and saw nothing. I know Cocci doesn't always come out in the stool, but since she has made a huge improvement in the last few days with no treatment other then electrolyte water, I wanted to see what you thought. Thanks guys!

Alright, I have Cocci bad. I had a 4 week old hen this morning passing LOTS of bloody stool. Her whole butt is covered in blood. She is currently separated in Doodle and Smudges brooder with a 1 gallon waterer, and 2 added teaspoons of liquid Corid. I'm working on a oral dose but don't have an accurate way of weighing her. Heres my other thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidiosis-treatment-questions.1456397/#post-24257447 any suggestions please add.
I will treat the rest of the flock to, but she is priority for now.

Alright, I have Cocci bad. I had a 4 week old hen this morning passing LOTS of bloody stool. Her whole butt is covered in blood. She is currently separated in Doodle and Smudges brooder with a 1 gallon waterer, and 2 added teaspoons of liquid Corid. I'm working on a oral dose but don't have an accurate way of weighing her. Heres my other thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidiosis-treatment-questions.1456397/#post-24257447 any suggestions please add.
I will treat the rest of the flock to, but she is priority for now.
Is there any way your parents can take you to Walmart. You can get a food scale for about $15.

Hey guys!
We are getting a batch of 12 meat birds in the spring, I don't like to cull any thing, haha, so have made the family agree that I can keep 2-3 of the broilers, limit feed and do an experiment as keeping them for pets.
I need all of the tips I can get, how much should I feed them? Should I feed a certain amount in two sections, like breakfast and dinner, twice a day? Or is it okay to feed a larger, but still limited amount once a day? Will they do okay living with an all bantam flock? I'm assuming that will just have to be something I find out on my own though. My concern with that would be limiting feed, I would have to separate the broilers for their limited feed, and then feed the bantams.
They will be in an appropriately sized coop and pen with the bantams, so will have enough room to run around. All the info I can get, anything important I need to know, since all I can think of is limiting feed. We are designing the coop now so anything I need to add, or make special for the broilers, I can add to the design now. Thanks for any info! I'm very excited for this experiment!
Hi there this sounds like a fun project 😍 I dong like to kill any animals and have many pet chickens a ducks. I really like what your doing!!

Hi there this sounds like a fun project 😍 I dong like to kill any animals and have many pet chickens a ducks. I really like what your doing!!
Thank you!
The both of them are doing really well so far! They went pretty far from the tractor to forage yesterday, as I let them roam around when were here to watch them. I've been keeping the rest in the chicken tractor to eat as much as they want, then letting Doodle and Smudge out, but keeping the tractor locked so they can't get in to eat. They mostly sit outside the tractor and sun bathe, and then will hop up and roam around for a bit. They act pretty darn close to regular chickens, but they still have their Cornish X moments. ;) Every morning I open up the lid of their separation brooder, and they hop up onto the edge waiting to be fed lol! Hey jump on everything, and wandered into the house this morning to pick up onion scraps that fell on the ground from lunch lol! I love them to death!🥰

That sounds great. I was thinking of doing something similar thanks for the inspiration hope all goes well with them!! Good luck😃
Good for you! Feel free to use this thread as a guide!
If I was gonna give anyone 3 of my best tips, I would say-

1) Free range is key. When they free range, they start to rely on themselves somewhat, and will go forage for food. I would get free range area available as soon as they have most of there feather. Even when they have half their feathers, put them outside so you can watch them when the weather is nice, and back in at night.

2) Lots of things to climb on in the brooder. I find that my ladies climb on everything! Especially if they get food. Preferably, if you could raise the feeder off the ground, so they have to climb to get to it, that would be perfect. Then, when you feed them each morning and night, they have to work to get to it.

3) Love them! Mine love me because I spent so much time with them. They are also very social birds, so it wasn't hard to get them friendly. They will follow me around, ANYWHERE! I think they just want food, but they will also gladly sit on my lap and lay in the sun with me. This is great, because I can walk up to them, wiggle my fingers like I do when I feed them, and call, "chick chick chick chick, chickens!" and they come running. I then run around the yard and they follow me at my heels. I use that call every time I feed them, so they know to come to it.
Then, they can run around the yard with you, and you can exercise them. They are FAST runners! You will be surprised! I also plan on harness training for the occasional walk, that will help with exercise as well.

I can't wait to see how it goes with yours! I started a thread a bit ago, for people to share their pet Cornish, I know I saw a few people on here who had them. Anyway, feel free to post your progress there, no one responded so the head kinda went stale, but feel free to bring it back to life!

Back
Top Bottom