Experts please HELP. Need advise asap SICKNESS?

Blueberrysilkies

Chirping
Jun 4, 2021
Ok. I have about 20 birds. My one group is about 4 months old. They came from a hatchery thru the mail and I paid for the merricks vaccine. About a month ago, one seems like it had a busted leg. Hobbling, stumbling. I splinted the leg and after 2 days it couldn't stand anymore. So we put it down. Thinking injury.

Fast fwd 1 month, Yesterday, another one from that group hung back, later I went to check and it was flopping around. I picked it up and it died in my arms?

Today, 2 more are limping! What the heck is going on!?

Everyone seems to be eating and drinking. I have wormed them and they free range. They are very well taken care of, lots of space, fresh water etc. All of these that are showing signs are from the hatchery that I got the merricks vaccine from. So it shouldn't be that None? None of my other birds, raised here are showing symptoms. I have looked at feet, legs, checked for warmth, injury etc.
Also, no sign of respiratory issues, no snot, drips or breathing issues?

I want to help them asap. I don't want them to suffer.

The pic is from healthy days. Pretty pretty babies.

Attachments

• 20210624_094836.jpg
    20210624_094836.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
What is your feed regimine?
What is nutrient mix on feed bag? Do you feed treats, if so what and how much?
What is their housing like, height of roosts, sft of area, etc?
Do they have access to outdoors?

There are many reasons they could be struggling.

I once had 6wk old bird that over ate high protein treats meant for the mom, she was tolerant of them eating too much... started having walking issues. Took treats away from all and he healed on his own.
Also maybe pick 1 bird and really examine it, watch its movements for more symptoms and specifics. Then see if there are differences in others that are exhibiting symptoms.
Need some more specifics to go on.

been doing this 10 ys, we still learn lessons cause each hatch may be a little different.
Our lesson was to only feed recommended type for that breed, no treats when young. He's an overeater, we hadn't had that occur in a bird before this spring.
Look forward to hearing more.

When I had Silkies I had to give them vitamins in their water, almost all of the time.
I don't know if it's genetics or what but they seem to need extra TLC.
I mixed in Rooster Booster with their water and then they really improved.
I understand that this could be Merek's disease but helping your birds with extra vitamins would improve their immune systems when it seems Silkies I got from the hatchery could never get enough vitamins from their feed.
1627395232273.png

What is your feed regimine?
What is nutrient mix on feed bag? Do you feed treats, if so what and how much?
What is their housing like, height of roosts, sft of area, etc?
Do they have access to outdoors?

There are many reasons they could be struggling.

I once had 6wk old bird that over ate high protein treats meant for the mom, she was tolerant of them eating too much... started having walking issues. Took treats away from all and he healed on his own.
Also maybe pick 1 bird and really examine it, watch its movements for more symptoms and specifics. Then see if there are differences in others that are exhibiting symptoms.
Need some more specifics to go on.

been doing this 10 ys, we still learn lessons cause each hatch may be a little different.
Our lesson was to only feed recommended type for that breed, no treats when young. He's an overeater, we hadn't had that occur in a bird before this spring.
Look forward to hearing more.
Ty for asking.

Here is my answers to help.

Feeding: 2 feeders in coop. 1 feeders has layer crumble, 1 has starter Grower crumble. Both Purina. They have access all day

Treats: they get scratch grains in the morning. Plus a mix of fresh veg and fruit scraps. Today, pasta salad.

Amount of treats are whatever I toss in yard. They get it first thing as they exit the coop in the morning. That way I can clean it and feed without tripping over anyone.

They are free ranging from 8am-8pm every day. The coop has windows and ventilation. It's 13 feet by 9ft for 20 birds. Ages 14 months down to 4 months.

They are silkies and don't really roost, but I do have 2 roots just in case, 1 foot high and 2 foot high.

They show the same type of symptoms. Starts like a slight limp, progressed to a full limp, catching itself with a wing to get balance. Eats/drinks but gets to the point where it can't walk, sits and after a bit, ends up on one side, not able to right itself.

Hope that helps

Ok. I have about 20 birds. My one group is about 4 months old. They came from a hatchery thru the mail and I paid for the merricks vaccine. About a month ago, one seems like it had a busted leg. Hobbling, stumbling. I splinted the leg and after 2 days it couldn't stand anymore. So we put it down. Thinking injury.

Fast fwd 1 month, Yesterday, another one from that group hung back, later I went to check and it was flopping around. I picked it up and it died in my arms?

Today, 2 more are limping! What the heck is going on!?

Everyone seems to be eating and drinking. I have wormed them and they free range. They are very well taken care of, lots of space, fresh water etc. All of these that are showing signs are from the hatchery that I got the merricks vaccine from. So it shouldn't be that None? None of my other birds, raised here are showing symptoms. I have looked at feet, legs, checked for warmth, injury etc.
Also, no sign of respiratory issues, no snot, drips or breathing issues?

I want to help them asap. I don't want them to suffer.

The pic is from healthy days. Pretty pretty babies.
The chicks in your picture already seem to have overgrown crests which will impair their vision and ability to feed, drink and orientate themselves in their surroundings.

In case all of your chicks are Silkies, Polish or similarly crested breeds, I strongly recommend to trim back their overgrown head feathers until you can see their eyes while standing right in front of them.

You could add some poultry vitamins to their water (especially vitamin B-complex and vitamin E), as Silkies and Polish often struggle especially with the vitamin B uptake, leading to symptoms similar to Marek's disease.

The vaccine does not prevent the disease only some of the symptoms.

What exactly do you feed them?
What exactly did you use to deworm them with?

What exactly did you use to deworm them

What exactly did you use to deworm them with?
I used Wazine to deworm. They are all still on starter crumbles. None are laying yet in that group.

When I had Silkies I had to give them vitamins in their water, almost all of the time.
I don't know if it's genetics or what but they seem to need extra TLC.
I mixed in Rooster Booster with their water and then they really improved.
I understand that this could be Merek's disease but helping your birds with extra vitamins would improve their immune systems when it seems Silkies I got from the hatchery could never get enough vitamins from their feed.
View attachment 2775241
I will pick some up today ty!

The chicks in your picture already seem to have overgrown crests which will impair their vision and ability to feed, drink and orientate themselves in their surroundings.

In case all of your chicks are Silkies, Polish or similarly crested breeds, I strongly recommend to trim back their overgrown head feathers until you can see their eyes while standing right in front of them.

You could add some poultry vitamins to their water (especially vitamin B-complex and vitamin E), as Silkies and Polish often struggle especially with the vitamin B uptake, leading to symptoms similar to Marek's disease.
Hair cuts for everyone! Ty

I have the 2 that are limping in a "hospital". Every one has gotten vitamins, wormer and vet rx. The limpers also got antibiotics. I'm throwing everything I can to help them and man, I feel helpless.

Back
Top Bottom