Expired Valbazen Effectiveness

A05951

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 30, 2014
Madison, WI
Yesterday, I treated a hen with Valbazen late in the afternoon because I found a roundworm in her poop. This morning, I found two more worms in a large poop. The worms were still moving, albeit very slowly. I checked the bottle and it expired in December 2018. In the past when I've treated with both Valbazen and with Safeguard after witnessing roundworms, the worms seen in the poop post treatment were most definitely not moving. I'm wondering if the Valbazen isn't as effective because it is expired. Has anyone had success treating with Valbazen or Safeguard paste after they have expired and how long after their expiration date.

As long as you shook the bottle well so that the suspension was mixed well, it should still be effective. Valbazen (albendazole) works slowly to kill the worms. Be sure to repaet a dose in 10-14 days, and the chicken should be fine. Unfortunately Valbazen is sold in a large amount, which is hard to use up by the expiration date, usually around 2 years. I have shared a lot of the bottle I have will a few other friends with chickens.

I did shake the bottle well before administering .5 ml yesterday afternoon. Today, I've monitored the poops, and she just had another one with a still moving round worm. This is approximately 20 hours after treatment.

I know this is a slow-acting dewormer, but it seems they would be dead by now. I'd just hate to think they are still eating away at her inside.

Should I re-dose her with the expired Valbazen. I know it's pretty "safe" as far as overdosing. Maybe I should just break down and get another bottle of Valbazen. It's available at a nearby farm supply store as is Safeguard which is cheaper. I was avoiding Safeguard this time because she is molting, which I've read can cause the new feathers to be misshapen.

Back
Top Bottom