Explaining Chicken Math

In our town we can have two hens. I have one Americana and one speckled Sussex. THEN... I hatched out 12 adorable, bursting with personality, over the allowed amount chicks. I already promised them to someone, but tonight I had two of them sitting in my lap.
love.gif
so of course I want to keep them and some more and maybe one more... you get it. I don't want to give my two older ones away, but I am in love with the chicks. I wish I lived in the country.
sad.png

How it all began...
April - Started with 2 - 6 week old BR's, then got 3 - 1 week old EE's a week later
May - Dog killed one EE :(
June - Got a 1 yr old Silkie/EE mix to replace EE.
July - Silkie EE mix wants to hatch some eggs :) Getting 5 to 7 Buff Brahma Eggs Thursday!
Love chicken Math (also in talks with a lady for a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte & an Olive egger about the same age as the EE's)

Only problem is I can only have 10!

I want to order more eggs....and these two are so friggen cute I can't help myself. Luckily I can have twenty five here ....I have thought of moving though...because I want a turkey and those aren't allowed here.

this is to loverofbirds again - since your community already allows you to have two birds, do you think you (well, not just you) can have that restriction changed, maybe by increasing it to five or ten birds? if the town government has not received any complaints about people who have two hens, then they probably wouldn't mind a resident having a few more, as long as you didn't keep a rooster. as an added argument, if you were allowed to keep a few more chickens, you could provide fresh eggs to your closest neighbors now and then. i don't know where you're at in wisconsin, but i would imagine that if you're in an incorporated city (which can be a small town), there would be board meetings, or supervisors meetings, or something similar where you could bring the issue up. and if you know anyone else in that area that also raises chickens, talk that person into coming along. or wouldn't this work?

this is to loverofbirds again - since your community already allows you to have two birds, do you think you (well, not just you) can have that restriction changed, maybe by increasing it to five or ten birds? if the town government has not received any complaints about people who have two hens, then they probably wouldn't mind a resident having a few more, as long as you didn't keep a rooster. as an added argument, if you were allowed to keep a few more chickens, you could provide fresh eggs to your closest neighbors now and then. i don't know where you're at in wisconsin, but i would imagine that if you're in an incorporated city (which can be a small town), there would be board meetings, or supervisors meetings, or something similar where you could bring the issue up. and if you know anyone else in that area that also raises chickens, talk that person into coming along. or wouldn't this work?
I had already considered asking the city for one more bird. The only incident we have had was when one of my chickens escaped into my not so friendly neighbor's yard and we got an angry phone call. However, now my girls are so well trained that they will follow me around the house. Another problem is that my coop is only about 4 X 3 feet. Big enough for maybe 3-4 birds max. I am planning on contacting the city though. As far as I know I am the only one in my town that owns chickens. I have offered eggs to the unfriendly neighbors, who rejected them. Everyone else around us loves the girls. Plus it seems like a lot of the people around here are farmers or love agriculture. When the chicks get older, I will go to the city. Wish me luck!
D.gif

I let the broodies hatch some eggs with the intention of selling the chicks. They are six and seven weeks old. I think I better see what color egg they lay to be sure who the father is.
DH says I can keep them. I have five coops. I am six ochickens over my space limit. It looks like I need another coop!

Back
Top Bottom