Exposing kids to butchering. Please take a second to weigh in.

I do think the person who suggested that you might want to gauge the kids interest level in this project beforehand had a good point. I know that I probably would have run shrieking at horror at that age at the very thought. At 46 I was finally able to bring myself to kill and process a bird, and it came about gradually, as the natural extension of my other activities, gardening, cooking, canning, beekeeping, and keeping birds for eggs.

If they are interested in the concept, fine. If it bothers them, maybe better to wait and not make them sit through something they might rebel at. My dad was good at making me sit through things like car maintenance that I didn't enjoy, and I did rebel against it. Now I know the wisdom of learning these things.

I think it's a great idea
smile.png
I read through just about every post and skimmed through a couple. The hanging deer made me a little lightheaded, but I'll get over it. lol.

If you do go ahead with some meat chickens, I'd recommend getting a small group of them as opposed to one or two chickens. You and the kids would be more prone to getting to know each of the birds individually and giving them names, etc if there were only one (or a few). It would make it much harder to process only one animal.

If you are able to - I'd recommend a small flock and for you to not keep them with your other birds, but in something like a tractor. They need to have the distiction that "those birds are for food" and not for pets....and so do you
smile.png
....especially if you've never done this before. It can be difficult.

I ordered my first broilers from Ideal and I was able to make the minimum order from them with 14 birds. Some other sites have a minimum requirement of 25.

Have you asked the kiddos what they thought?
smile.png

My daughter was very excited about butchering our pig, but when the shot was fired, we both started to cry.
tongue.png
She also cried when that same pig was castrated as a piglett...he did a lot of squeeling. She made herself stay until it was over though, it was her decision.

When it came to the chickens, she was super excited to be part of the process, she still is. (She was 10 back when we started to live on a working farm, although I would have started her younger if I could have.)

I think it's a wonderful idea, as long as the child wants to help, I don't see a problem with it. I still have a 16 yr old at home (can not help, and will not eat the food either), 10 yr old twins. One twin had enough after the first bird was done, and the second one stuck with daddy through all of them. I cleaned them after their part was done, and I could not eat supper.

I would def. let them make their own choice.

My girls are 11 and 16. The 16 yr old really turns green when we are doing it. I do not make her stay anymore. The 11yr old helps in every part of it. We opt to just skin the birds instead of plucking, none of us care for the skin anyway.

I had forgotten an incident that happened years ago. Long before we moved to our farm in MO, my husband and my step-children (son -7, daughter - 10) went fishing. They caught a couple of sand sharks. They brought them home to show me. After praising them for an interesting catch, I asked the kids was if they wanted to see what was inside, so we dissected them. They were very interested in the whole process and the organs. I never gave a single thought to what their bio Mom might think. Their Dad was there and took pictures of us while we did it. For me, it was a teaching moment and they learned about the inner workings of the body.
Dale-Ann

Quote:
Totally agree! Same with city bred husbands! I'm trying to train the hubby and must impress upon him that you cannot get attached to the meat birds. Not cute, fluffy pets. Play with the Banties, not the big white ones.
The hard part will be when we get a cow/calf. You can love on the cows and heifers but not the steers. I can already see it coming.

Last edited:
I agree with Yakima kid, I can't butcher my roo because my 12 year old has given it a name and completely humanized this bird. Doesn't help that the bird has a real funny personality complete with comical looks and quirky habits. I can't keep the roo, so I'm desperately trying to find it a home. Thankfully the hatcher said she'd take it back.

My daughter, who is 2 now, experienced her first chicken butchering when only a few months old. Ok, well she was sleeping while I was wearing her as I plucked the feathers off. She has been present at every butchering since, it is important to me that she understands where her food comes from and has a respect for the lives we take to sustain ourselves. Personally, open and honest discussion is what I believe in with my child...and also choice. If she chooses to not eat meat, I respect that decision. I was vegetarian for 14 years before I began raising and eating meat again!

just my 2 cents:)

Back
Top Bottom