Extended shipping time--I'm concerned

BlueHen20

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2020
Hi, I'm new, have had chickens forever and now branching out into ducks and geese. I ordered 10 Blue Swedish ducklings and 5 geese (Africans and Toulouse) from Purely Poultry in WI. Got the shipping update today. The ducklings/goslings were accepted by the USPS last night (4/20) and according to the tracking number the expected delivery day is...Friday 4/24 by 8pm.

I feel foolish for not realizing that Purely Poultry doesn't ship the birds out from WI--turns out the birds are coming all the way from CA. I'm in KY. I'm concerned about this extended shipping time.

I'm guessing there's nothing I can do at this point. Y'all think the birds will be okay, or should I prepare myself for disaster? Any special care I should give the ducklings and goslings when the arrive to help them recover from the shipping stress?

Thanks for any input or advice!

:welcome

Are the goslings/ducklings in the same shipping box? Not much you can do at this point besides having a poultry vitamin on hand in case you have some weak birds, you can offer them some scrambled eggs once they arrive for a good boost. Call the post office and tell them to call you Immediately once they arrive.

Hi, I'm new, have had chickens forever and now branching out into ducks and geese. I ordered 10 Blue Swedish ducklings and 5 geese (Africans and Toulouse) from Purely Poultry in WI. Got the shipping update today. The ducklings/goslings were accepted by the USPS last night (4/20) and according to the tracking number the expected delivery day is...Friday 4/24 by 8pm.

I feel foolish for not realizing that Purely Poultry doesn't ship the birds out from WI--turns out the birds are coming all the way from CA. I'm in KY. I'm concerned about this extended shipping time.

I'm guessing there's nothing I can do at this point. Y'all think the birds will be okay, or should I prepare myself for disaster? Any special care I should give the ducklings and goslings when the arrive to help them recover from the shipping stress?

Metzers? This happened to me as well but it was more or less “BY FRIDAY’ to cover there asses. I was supposed to get them Thursday morning but I just went to the location they were at on Wednesday (25 minutes away) and told them I had a package with live birds and they let me take them. I would suggest finding out where they are on Wednesday and getting them then. I live in Illinois so similar distance. I would of definitely had a few more deaths if I would of waited until Thursday.

Thank you @MasterOfClucker, I appreciate the suggestion of the scrambled eggs and the vitamins. And I'll definitely pester the post office. In my area in KY people are generally very respectful of the value of livestock, so I think the postal employees here will be as helpful as they can.

@jaykayhuff I'm not sure who hatched them in CA. Maybe Metzer's works with Purely Poultry? I am very hopeful that the "Friday" estimate is only a CYA statement...we will see. I would happily drive a little further to get them, I appreciate that suggestion and I will keep an eye on the updates.

Thank you @MasterOfClucker, I appreciate the suggestion of the scrambled eggs and the vitamins. And I'll definitely pester the post office. In my area in KY people are generally very respectful of the value of livestock, so I think the postal employees here will be as helpful as they can.

@jaykayhuff I'm not sure who hatched them in CA. Maybe Metzer's works with Purely Poultry? I am very hopeful that the "Friday" estimate is only a CYA statement...we will see. I would happily drive a little further to get them, I appreciate that suggestion and I will keep an eye on the updates.
I know there are a couple of “hatcheries” that advertise ducks that actually come from Metzers so I would assume it is most likely them. I’ve always used them. Great customer service and very helpful. I just had a horrible first experience with shipping live ducklings (I normally get eggs to incubate) so now I’m traumatized and don’t want to do it ever again! Ha But hopefully everything is good with your shipping and you can get them from the post office early like I did! Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Are you shipping the ducklings and goslings in the same box or separate?

Mine came from Holderreads in Oregon to Ohio. Shipped Monday with Friday delivery and was worried. Got a call on Thursday and all was good. Same as you, I can trust my PO.

:eek: Friday! I hope they are ok!
Do offer them good nutrition when you get them, and do everything you can to get them earlier than Friday.

@MasterOfClucker I think they are all shipping in the same box, but I am not sure of that. I ordered them all together and got one shipping notification, which to me sounds like one box. This is my first time ordering geese and my first time doing a mixed order, so I'm not even sure what would be more optimal. I would think together would be better for warmth?

Back
Top Bottom